UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MW4: Mercenaries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: MW4: Mercenaries Reply with quote

So how many got MW4: Mercs for Christmas? :D Anyone want to to beat up on each other?

I'm in the process of getting the 2 expansion packs as well (for 8 more mechs).

The only thing I don't like about it is how they went about assigning what you could put into a slot, with very few (omni) open slots.

What I would like to see, is when you put something on the mech, the actual weapon nacelle changes to an appropriate 3-D rendering (kind of like the JG way of mounting missiles) - including going away when you don't have anything mounted in that spot.

*sigh* I know...keep dreaming.

Oh...By the way, I have set up my firewall and have hosted games with up to 16 players before (on a dedicated server, with the first MW4). They noted very little lag in such a game. I think the server was a 500 or 400MHz machine, now I have a 1GHz machine I can toss there (once I get my hub working again).
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm UK based, but would be up for a game.

Is it me or are the SP campaigns really short? Not being able to carry your Merc company past the campaign, even if just to fight in the arena is a touch annoying.

I did try an MP game or two but to be honest was slaughtered in a very short space of time, dont think I even got a shot off in most games.

As an utter MW noob I was quite surprised at how uninivolving Mercs was from an SP campaign perspective, maybe the brevity just makes it very difficult to get too attached to your staff or that involved in what is going on, in many cases I think it took longer to try and get into the plot than to actually go and beat up the bad guys.

Shame really as the actual game mechanics are (imo at least) top notch.
Catzcradle
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shameless plug from my "other" life..........

For a lot of info including guides, general discussion, and 3 t-1 based MW4 servers point browser to www.teambanzai.net

yup, thats me over there, same catzcradle :)

been with them for close to a year, and in mech4 for 2.5.
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, will take a mosey and see if I can get myself sorted out from noobwarrior to full fledged mechwarrior :D
Catzcradle
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrr, stupid server move is causing us a "problem" sorry bout that....
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about what? you know the guys at www.oesm.org ? (nevermind. umec host server had a dns problem for a few hours)
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

Location: Muffy went off on somebody and all i got was this lousy T-Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW4: Mercs comes with the Clan and IS Mechs that weren't included in MW4 I thought.

Anyway, it's a good game, but there's things that I would like to have seen.

1) Realistic salvage. I got the game guide and the Mech's that you can get are already determined and have a 25-100% chance that you will recieve them. Sucks for the Beach Mission where you face NINE Clan Mech's and you can't get the MadCat II that Falcon is piloting.

MW2: Mercs is still the king of salvage. Head shot = guaranteed new mech.

2) Being able to continue after the SP storyline ends. Random missions if necessary. MW2: Mercs has a patch out that allows you to continue your career. Problem is that game companies realized that people will not buy your newest game when it comes out if they are still playing the old one.

Oh, if you get a chance, download the bloopers MP3 of the play-by-play arena announcer.
Nicator
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah. Earthsiege 2 always has and always will rule on any Mechwarrior game :D.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooo...i liked cyberstorm1 (that was a fun game. only mechwarrior type game that could run on my old computer)
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MW4:Merc has new mechs that were not in the old one. You can also see the mechs (but not use them) that are in the 2 add-on packs unless you actually have the add-on packs. (IS and Clan - about $13US each). Needless to say, the Clan is about the only one worth getting (each has 4 mechs).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: