UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Privateer2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Privateer2 Reply with quote

Link to Privateer1 thread

Privateer2 : The Darkening
Advertisement for priv2
Found a fan site still up and running here:
http://www.geocities.com/sasa_25/priv2.htm
The website has everything but the actual game. i'm attempting to track down an online copy of it. (once bought the game but i dunno where it's at now)

It has an amazing crew among them Christopher Walken. (who starred in that "weapon of choice" MTV video.)...

The farthest i got was past the intro movie which was AWESOME and then the darned thing decided it was going into hyperdrive during inflight stuff. (i probably needed moslo)

Anyways, that site also has downloads for Elite, Elite plus, another game, and Privateer1.
ooooooooooo...and it also has a 1337 trade routes page
http://www.geocities.com/sasa_25/p2trade.htm
Code:
Nerve Toxins

Human Organs

Firearms

Brain Implants

Pleasure Borgs

GameDemo Reviews wrote:
A Diamond in the Rough

Privateer 2: The Darkening is Origin's latest choose-your-own-adventure space combat game which makes heavy use of full-motion video (FMV). As Mercenaries was to Mechwarrior 2, so the Privateer games are to the Wing Commander series. Mech 2 and Wing Commander 4 were all about honour and duty -- even conscience -- and someone else could worry about the details of mission choice, supplies, maintenance and cash flow. Mercenaries and now Privateer 2 put that all in your control. You decide which jobs to take on, what ships to buy or hire, and you pay for every gun, missile, every scratch on your equipment.

The story is engaging, though less than original: you awaken in a hospital on a remote planet with no memory of your past, and are told you are the only survivor of a horrendous crash. Before you can quite catch your breath, some very sinister hit men storm the hospital and try to make sure you don't live long enough to recapture your identity. You flee, and feel driven to uncover your history. Along the way you'll have to make enough money to keep you and your ship in fighting shape.

The latter part actually frames the bulk of the gameplay. There are eighteen different varieties of ship to choose from, and you can customize each with regard to weapons, afterburner speed, coolant systems, autorepair bots, shield regeneration rate -- you name it. But it all costs a pretty penny, and you'd best exploit the commodities market if you want the cash for all those bells and whistles. There are some 35 different goods to trade in, ranging from food and medical supplies to illegal firearms and nerve toxins. Regular news updates will tell you what commodities may be fetching the highest price on different planets, and if you hire a large cargo ship to ferry your cash crop you can really rake in the dough -- if the cargo ship survives the trip, that is. If you don't defend it from bands of pirates (and they are everywhere) your investment will go down with it.

Another (but often more challenging) source of income are the missions posted on planetary bulletin boards. They offer rewards in proportion to their difficulty, and some of them are very difficult indeed, best left alone unless you have a serious ship or are especially gifted with a flight stick.

The upshot is that you can spend a great deal of time ignoring the main story line. In fact, if you pursue it too single-mindedly you may find yourself in over your head, without the hardware to keep up with events. The game developers wanted you to feel free to take your time pursuing various clues to your past, and as a result the experience is less linear than that found in WC4.

Despite Privateer 2's non-linear emphasis, it seems smaller in scope than WC4. The missions are more repetitive, for one: there are no missions on planet surfaces, nor any depending on stealth and subterfuge (which could have delivered a nice change of pace by forcing you to rethink your battle plans). Nearly all of them fall into the search&destroy or rescue&defend categories. This narrow range is not helped by the limited number of ports you can visit (8 major planets and 10 minor ones, a couple space stations). They each have different backdrops and cutscenes, but your options at each one are identical (except for the major planets which have the occasional site of interest, depending on your progress with the main story). Gameplay may be less linear, less restricted than in WC4, but it still feels more one-dimensional. The story is, admittedly, less central to gameplay, but, that being the case, more effort should have been lent to adding variety to the rest of the action.

it rambles on. the only upsetting bit i read was that the actual flight wasn't very pleasing to flight-sim fans and had a rather "arcade" style combat engine. (apparently it was reworked from scratch)
    i think i'll stick with privateer1 then...besides, a priv2 demo or fullgame is impossible to find
WAIT WAIT I FOUND A DL SITE hahaha...
The Underdogs wrote:
So why is The Darkening inferior to Privateer? The answer, I think, is that the game loses the carefree, go-anywhere-you-want feel of the original game. Since Origin went the FMV route, where most missions are introduced and the plot unfolded via movie clips, this means the gameworld is much smaller than in Privateer, and the game much more linear. This limited freedom makes the game feel much more like a Wing Commander game than a Privateer game. Which is not a bad thing, except that one would expect the game titled Privateer 2 to be a true sequel to Privateer and maintain its freelancing spirit. There are still enough profiteering opportunities (buying & selling cargo between planets, for example), but the extent of freedom is much less compared to the original.

There are also other oversights that will irk fans of Privateer. One big blow that significantly reduces the replayability of Privateer 2 is the absence of RMG, Random Mission Generator. This feature is part of what makes the first Privateer so replayable. Playing the same missions over and over in The Darkening, is naturally much more boring, so you would be less likely to re-install it after you beat the game. The game is also plagued with more than a few bugs, a sign that Origin rushed it out the door before it was 100% ready.

Hmmmmmmm...the review begins with a blurb that states priv2 sacrifices gameplay for more "Space Opera" stuff.
shrug
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t

http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/Privateer2/HumanOrgans.gif
http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/Privateer2/NerveToxins.gif
did have time to get the rest (there's fire arms, plus brain implants)
    i'm sure i'll get all the pics in time
weeeeeeeeeee i can take screenshots in DOS! me soooo happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: