UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debunking the BPC & Merchant Prince myth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Debunking the BPC & Merchant Prince myth Reply with quote

BPC = Best Profit Calculators (3rd party programs and the internal JOSSH one in the database)

Xindaan wrote:
Repeatedly said before, but probably worth another mention: The most profitable runs usually do not show up on BPCs anyway. This is especially true with the ~30 minute updates JOSSH takes, and this is also where your real live comparison falls short. Those who arrive too late because they get their information too late are not the ones making the money in real life either.

So, economy requires some more skill. Is this bad, in a game that promotes skill anywhere else as well? Combat-PvPers need to train, and nobody complains here. Why should econ be dead-easy and its subtleties stop there when a trader has managed to find the "calculate profitable runs" on his BPC? If you think adding more skill to the economy makes it "less interesting" ... tough luck for you, sorry. If you think they "can't trade anymore without making losses", tough luck again. (PoDs etc. will cut into this, of course, but with some thinking and doing the right runs, you'll still come out positive even with several PoDs on the way.)

The tale of no profits to be made is a myth. It may look this way on BPCs. It may look this way for people keeping an eye on the classic profit commodities. But this stuff is not the end. When I have an item with ~5 times the production speed and 50% of the profit per unit compared to a classical profit commodity, surely that's a much better deal. 4M profit per hour. Not bad. Timed right, this will never ever show up on a BPC either, so I can have this production nice and undisturbed. It's not that people bother much about it, when I check the market. But even keeping a close eye on the production speeds of classical profit commodities is helpful too - and reveals that a lot of "no profit possibilities" are not dictated by MG or anyone else, but only by those people preferring short-term lower profits over long-term higher profits. Don't blame MG or anyone, blame many traders' lack of knowledge about the economy system.

There is no "punishment for traders". If you see this thread, you will notice that there surely are people against farming. Including PvPers. There were even requests to ban people using economy exploits. Farming, or, in general, excessive money exploits is what makes "Quake in Space" possible in the first place. How do you think the griefers finance their uninsured deaths? (List of uninsured ship costs is here)

Merchant Prince = "traders are an essential part of JG"
Quote:
We aren't, actually. Not with the current production efficiencies that result in only one single trader required for the resupply of ~100 PvPers. An ability to make easy money using BPCs does not, and never did, make traders an essential part of JG either.
Xindaan
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further linkage, related to the second quote:

Baadf00d estimates the amount of tow pilots required to support PvPers
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "problem" with a lot of traders is that they dont actually bother to pay a great deal of attention to what the economy does and how it works which in some respects is to be expected to a degree, but as Xindaan pointed out there seems to be a school of thought that it should be possible to make pots of cash for little to no effort other than turning up at a station, picking amission and buying up some goods.

I like being a trader, I find the Jumpgate economy fascinating and infuriating and fully recognise that after 2 months of pretty much dedicated trading (after levelling and trying a few other odds and sods) that I have only just scratched the surface. But even at this level I am well aware that the real best profit runs will never show up on the various trackers about the place as they require you to do some work for your money first not to mention the known problems with JOSSH updates. If I want to make some serious cash then I know I am going to spend the first half of the evening hauling low profit commodities to a producing station and the second half of the evening buying up these commodities before (in my case at least) taking them to another station that can use and 'needs' the commodities in question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: