UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are we just a bunch of whining cnuts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Are we just a bunch of whining cnuts? Reply with quote

Is the current EU situation something that the US "quake in spacers" would just laugh off with shrug of their shoulders as they jumped into their tows and got their wallets out to pay pods/take a pod ride home? Or is there something more fundamentally wrong with the way that the server is being played at the moment?

to be honest, I feel like a north sea cod. I may be somewhat juicy and plump but I am well aware that there aren't many like me around any more and every day I log on I see even fewer yet the pirates/fisherman get more numerous.

Is this "carebear" mentality gone mad or is there a deeper underlying problem?

I'm not taking the piss, your main experience seems to be on the US server, and god knows, you are more opinionated than I am :D
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you have to take a step back. do it now.

okay, good. now then, tell yourself that this sort of griefing goes on all the time. Why has it appeared to pick up pace? Well, everytime a long awaited patch is imminent the PvPers start getting trigger happy -- The nonpvpers, like yourself (and more extreme carebears) get twitchy as well.

What you are seeing is a symptom not of some threshold into hell, but simply the pre-patch jitters...Also known as the "Exodus Phase" where carebear-like pilots get ALOT more touchy about civrips over nothing, and the Griefer-like pilots get ALOT more trigger happy over nothing.

Okay, i think you understand now. so snap back into focus.

1. Would the US server shrug off this stuff? Well, there's hardly any population there anymore, so it's just a matter of fact that the people who would be most susceptable to taking offense at being civripped over nothing have already taken their wallets elsewhere.
  2. Something fundamentally wrong with the way the game's being played on the EU server? Well, i wouldn't blame any of the players for interpreting the pretty stupid PvP coding the way they have been for years...NetDevil considers anyone with a bounty to be "this" close to being a griefer and encourages vigilantes to kick people when they are down. (because the person with the bounty gets more in the hole if she/he defends themselves successfully while working off a bounty -- thus encouraging vigilantes because for them it's a win-win situation and the opposite for the bountied "criminal")
Look, it's not a matter of worrying whether we treat criminals so leniently, it's that we treat those criminals as if they were stupid fucknuts who don't know how to manipulate the system. (and believe me, every damned one of those fuckers knows the pvp coding backwards and forwards, upside down and inside out)

what i'm saying is that the only people that are hindered in any shape or fashion by the PvP coding is the honorable folks who "break the rules" because a roleplayer "Civrips to suit RP" not the other way around. (see the flame war post here for more info)
    To wit: We "carebears" are just as susceptable to pre-patch jitters as the "griefers"...doesn't mean we should belittle what's being said by -Trooper- and others, because i don't consider them either of the two stereotypes. He's most likely just like you and me. someone who doesn't really care for PvP, but realizes the RP spice it adds to the game if civrips are done to suit RP.

Capiche? To me it's become a simple equation. A very black and white situation. either you
  • civrip to suit RP (pvpers)
  • RP to suit civrip (griefers)
    Of course, there's other options that don't include PvP nor RP...alot of the players just like hanging out with their friends in a glorified IRC chat channel and wouldn't know what the word "*IC*" meant if it came up and bit them on the ass. (this sort are known as "Carebears". those who would rather not be shot at or shoot other players. period. those folks who want 'Inhibitor Switches' that disable PvP.)
Actually, i'm going to post a poll on MightyGames asking everyone what their playstyle is along the lines i just listed (see here)
    BTW, there's an older topic about "carebears vs. griefers" located here with quite a bit of material i've collected
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...took me awhile but i finally figured out what a Cee-Nut was. I'm not sure if it's some stupid 1337 sp33k hash of the english language like "TEH" and "SI", but either way it'll take some getting used to.

when people use curse words on these forums i usually expect them to be sincere. 1337 sp33k is hardly sincere and i'd like to discourage the use of such. (perhaps once or twice during a post for effect) But please in the future avoid using 1337 sp33k in your subject title. much thanks. *g*
    actually, i usually try to avoid swearing in subject titles as much as possible in any forum but flame war.
Curiously enough i tend to avoid using the word "[Muffy: Toot Toot Language Language]" in a derogatory fashion. mainly because it tends to turn females' expressions into something rather unfunny.
<3 ----- :BEEEP: :O ----- cnut ----- cold :cat:

roflmao...actually, i forgot. the word [Muffy: Toot Toot Language Language] is the only one i have in UMEC's word censor list. lol...think i placed that months ago.
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my apologies, I've always taken cnut to be a slight more tongue in cheek version of the correctly spelt noun. I was also more than a bit angry when I wrote the post (a Three day alcohol bender with a few mates has calmed me down a bit ;D)

Promise wont do it again 8P

And thanks for opinion btw, needed a sanity check before I lost it with JG totally.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe you physically cannot say [Muffy: Toot Toot Language Language] or cnut

oh, and as for losing it? well, i'm just about to go check a post i wanted deleted with extreme prejudice. (if it isn't i'll quit the forums and quit once my 3 months are up next month)
    first off though i'm gonna go look up "white lies" and "black lies" on the xref.com encyclopedia of slang. (reason i might quit is cause some jackoff posted a "im so innocent and he's so guilty of RoC violation" on the forums, when everyone "in the loop" knows it's all BS, but potential customers and n00bs don't know it's BS and take it at face value...it's quite damaging.
What i fear more than the "pot calling the kettle black" flames that assume my issue is with the cursing, is the continued existence of that thread for reasons much more dangerous that simple moral objection to cursing. (i've written up my findings and thesis on Moderator blind spots, here)

So, yeah. there ARE times when it's appropriate to lose it, dude.
absol
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah, say what? you've asked for a post to be removed and (based on your most recent post) it hasn't been?

*grumble* everything seems to be falling apart at the minute...
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. bleh. i talked about that thread elsewhere (here)
rant
BTW, who else here thinks LewisHill (muddeh) & jimcrossland (gymcee) on EU server are useless tits? now THOSE fuckers are goddamned [Muffy: Toot Toot Language Language] if you ask me!
:sniper: wynar

personally, i'dl ike to call down an air strike on their candy asses.
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I am really in a position to say much either way.

Muddy is perfectly capable of infuriating me, as indeed are you my friend:eek: and I dare say I manage to leave a few people waiting to :headbang: with my pearls of wisdom now and again..

I would concede that the Solrain pilot base does perhaps have more than its fair share of FFS posters.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmm...i just can't stand people that lie. Infuriating and potty mouthed i can relate to (i resemble that remark)
    and muddeh and ceebee lie so casually you get the feeling they think it's okay to do that since it's just as "valid" an "RP" as Raiderr putting all Quants as KOS
They've done this so long they've forgotten about suspension of disbelief all together and say lies that do affect those who haven't forgotten. (ie. n00bs and intelligent veterans)

Unfortunately, most normal human beings hesitate from being impolite and would rather lurk and keep their thoughts still-borne. that sentence, in itself, betrays something of my motivations for posting so much: I don't like stillborne thoughts..when i conceive an idea i've got this need to post it and i can evolve my concepts

;)
absol
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno. i think some people are capable of infuriating people very fast. i think some people lose their rag very fast and flame like they are on IRC rather than forums (erm... i know what i mean, i think).

i think muddeh has both of these qualities in abundance. of course he is far from alone.

*shrugs* ah, what do i know?

i hope you see your way to coming back, i guess it is pre-patch jitters (i dunno) but everything has jsut turned to pap with 'griefing' pirates/rebels and red dwarfers 'exploiting' the market for masses of cash.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"nothing but...merely that" Yeah, i know, it probably is crazy to believe me about the symptoms of my so-called "Patch Jitters" (even the vets forget they forget, or just can't see the 'pattern')

What i'm saying is that 'patch jitters' is like someone's just gone cold turkey for a week after quitting an addiction...capiche? (ie. not only do you have carebears complaining at the drop of a hat and yelling "Well, I never! *flounce*", but you also have farmers getting righteous about exploiting and griefing by the *ahem* pirates/terrorists takes on the qualities of some crack baby who's pipe has been stolen -- plus you have the intelligent members walking around in a tizzy wondering "What the flying FUCK is going on?!!?!?
    course, my damned Cassandra complex is working overtime
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the anticipation of the patch that cause this illogican behaviour, but rather the lack of patches. There has been longer periods of patchlessness before (pre-nix boost/post-nix nerf), and we saw similar flamewars and 'black lies'.

IMO what happens is people actually play the game for it is and get frustrated when they realize the game is what YOU make of it and not what the DEVS make of it. When some new stuff is introduced (read: patch) into the game, the DEVS give YOU something more to make of it. However, people are stuipid and it takes a while before they get bored with the new stuff.

What I'm saying is the short-time players need new stuff often to not go rampart, while long-time players look at the foundation of the game-mechanics and try to become "one with the game".

I have been a member of OV for almost a year now. Regardless of what you might think of OV (or OEC maybe) policy/gameplay/whatever, OV has been the same since EU retail launch. We have seen enemies come and go, but only OV has prevailed. In a way OV is some sort of PvP Foundation on EU.

When Jade Falcon or TDP or <insert current llama squad here> growns tired of their annoying ways and quit/give up, who do you think short-time PvP squad will start shooting at again? Random Civilians? Red Dwarfers? OV?

Pretty obvious, eh?

While the short-time PvP players might cause other players to leave the game in discust, short-time traders can ultimatedly destroy the game. Farmers -> Infinite credits -> infinite equipment -> meaningless death. Farming is the short-time traders quick-fix, just as civrips is the short-time PvPers quick-fix.

Short-time players are satisfied as long as they get new stuff. Lack of new stuff makes them go bazerk. While they get excited when new stuff is near release ("day before Xmas"-kinda excited), it's the "forced to play with what you got" that they can't handle...

(OT: Ack! long post/rant. Dangerous, since it increases the chance of argument/logical errors.. 8P )
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent point, and we'll see if you're right and i'm wrong based on whether the patch is imminent. Hindsight being 20/20, of course. (thing is, if a patch arrives within ~2 weeks then i'm gonna be in smug mode for quite some time, yes?)
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't mind your smug mode, since I'll be buzy fiddling with all the new stuff! :grin:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Flame War All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: