UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boromir and all those arrows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Boromir and all those arrows Reply with quote

Tolkien Fansite Forum Thread
Well, this was an old thread i bumped for interest sake. Excellent topic for anyone interested in how long Boromir would have lived in RL.
Bagger88
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic, course it's a work of fiction so exactly "how many" arrows Boromir could live through was up to Tolkien's imagination.

Funny, I didn't notice anyone mention that Tolkien was an army officer during WWI. Who knows how many men he saw die, but he probably saw some great acts of heroism and incredible courage even when men were wounded.

I've read many Congressional Medal of Honor plaques and it's amazing what some of those men did. Hit 6 times by 50 cal rounds, 2 grenades, etc. All those awards are for individual heroism, so I find it completely plausible what Boromir did.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. i didn't want to spoil their fun really. i've heard some heroic stories myself...these guys probably never heard of soldiers not noticing assault rifle wounds in the heat of battle. (probably assume anyone hit by such a caliber automatically turns into a girly-man)
    but, that's beside the point really, and just feeds the trolls...I liked the thread because it showed the "nonheroic" side of the equation, and how when one doesn't even take into account the heroism one can still come up with fatal wounds not killing instantly
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump* *bumpity* *bump*

i know this is an old topic, but Boromir and Eowyn's heroic struggles were the favorite parts of the book for me.

I found this quite by accident during a romp on google for something unrelated, but enough with the digression:
http://www.frenchanderson.org/french/forensic/report/report.html
That's an FBI report of a firefight in miami in 1981 that dismisses flawed accounts that belittled the incredible willpower involved that stretched the firefight to four minutes when it should have been over in seconds...fortunately for all the heroism of one officer prevented the hostiles from even further mayhem, even though they'd both taken unsurvivable hits from officers firing accurately through smoke, shadow and despite severe injuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: