UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping my eye on GameSpot, GameSpy, etc etc...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 11:12 am    Post subject: Keeping my eye on GameSpot, GameSpy, etc etc... Reply with quote

GameSpots spotlight on JG
They seem to keep tabs on JumpGate, and have the most extensive articles about NetDevil's pride and joy. (not to mention the place i ranted. man, that was a bad time to quit smoking. hehe) Their last update was Dec11th.
Quote:
Jumpgate is a deep, well-designed game that incorporates the best elements of space combat simulations and role-playing games. It's rewarding to those who want to learn the complex interdependencies of the game's universe, as well as to those who just want to get in a spaceship and shoot some things. And it will only get better as the story unfolds, as the political ties weaken, and as the in-game events add new elements to an already fun and interesting game.
Official Gamespot review

POSITIVE:
=========
The gamespot review is generally good but nothing I read about the game really gave me a feel for the depth, subtlety, and enjoyment of really playing the game.

The game does not have as much eye-candy as Freepsace 2 or Independence War 2 but the factions, missions, and trading add an element of gameplay that takes this to the next level.
Indie Reviewer

NEGATIVE:
=========
The first Privateer game blew me away in 1993 and I've been a big fan of type of this game type ever since. But my main problem with Jumpgate is it's pratically the same game as 1993's Privateer. JG has added multiplayer but it's way to constraining. The players need the ability to affect the system by being able to destroy jumpgates and other structures. The alien flux are a nice side line but the main focus seems to be on PvP combat. The problem with PvP is there's nothing to win or lose. If you lose you get the money for your ship and can quicly start over. If you win you get nothing except a note on your statistics.
I can't see where the game is headed. I know all other MMPORPG don't really have a goal either but it seems like JG should. If the factions could take over more sectors or some how control the flow of the game it would provide a sense of direction. Right now the game is pretty boring while I build up.
I'll give the game a month and see if it gets interesting. Otherwise I'll go back to Terminus which is pratically identical, has multiplayer, and the online servers are free
Indie Reviewer

*w00t!*

GameSpy's article
GameSpy's review
uhm...riiiiight. the guy whines about a need for autopilot. probably autodock/autofight/automasterbate (it's not like they can host JG servers. i wonder if they'll do DarkSpace, since i heard that MMOG space sim let's you host your own 'Zones')
*shrug*

ActionVault.ign.com
rather an old review, and nothing since january2001. Since they don't have an interview yet with NetDevil, i'm hoping that's in the works. (though i find their site to be less aesthetic/intuitive than GameSpots)
*ZZZzzzz*

MPOG's article by our guy
Sorry, Cristian Groza, but i have to giggle everytime i see the garish layout. *g*
anyways, this is the latest and best review i've found so far...so don't mind the format. it's the content!
*ALL GAME! NO HYPE!*

HomeLAN's articles
hmmmmmm..not sure why these guys keep tabs on JG. i thought they were all about CounterStrike. hehe. Anyways, i love their UserInterface. (I suppose because they probably hosted Allegiance, and they have a fan base that now likes JG)
*hmmmmmmmm...*

RPG planet review
Eh? planet RPG? hmmm. well, there's tonnes of sites with a review dated approx around the time 3DO released JG, so i'll skip this type of review
*next*

DAMN! MY GOOGLE SEARCH IMPLODED!
google

Last edited by MajorFreak on Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC magazine's review
hmmmmmm...this is a nice one.

Lightning strikes twice. GameSpot's GOTY awards
Looks like we're nominated for SciFi spacesim and GOTY. w00t! (kudos to Burner for spotting this, though a demerit for waiting for me to post the news here. heeh)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha
SirBruce beats out DerekSmart in the vote spam category

ahahaha roflmao!!
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InternetGamersNetwork has nominated JG for best MMOG
though i haven't a clue why EQ nor AC are part of this vote...And their expose on NetDevil's game isn't that hot.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGonline's review
One wonders why such an obviously old review was posted now? Could it be renewed interest in a company that actually listens to it's players' feedback? One that hasn't caved under the carebear majority? One that bravely tries to stem the inevitable NerfHerds?

in June, CGonline magazine released their July issue which had JumpGate displayed prominently

*this is the same site that holds an old article about Sampenguin getting caught redhanded griefing*

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.massmog.com/
hello.....what's this then? This site looks really cool!
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuppers. looks like Gamespot still likes JG
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in reviewing Freelancer at E3, Gamespy mentioned JumpGate along with EVE and E&B in the same sentence as putting pressure on Freelancer.
http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/pc/freelancer/

Don't understand why it got the runnerup for Best Simulator Award behind TWO OTHER microsoft published games... I really don't. heh
    not to mention it CAN'T use a joystick...ie. point and click simulator? contradiction in terms if you ask me. shoulda been RPG category
Now, the interesting thing is they award The Sims Online as winner of the MMOG category with TWO sony online entertainment developed games (SW:G and Planetside).

FYI, the winner of the RPG category was NeverWinterNights. (droooool...i only pray it's got more replay value than Dungeon Siege)

BTW, here's the review of the booth babes. lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameSpot ranks JG as 4th in rank as "simulator" game!
:o
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/top10/0,11997,6013054,00.html
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: O.R.B. Reply with quote

ORB is out :)

Anyone care to get together for MP play once we've mastered the single player stuff?

Going to pick up my copy this evening.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad, Kami! stop pimping another game! lol

i'll go quote you in that ORB thread in general discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> News, Reviews & Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: