UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A tribute to Elite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first and the best of the genre
Never played the game, but it sounds alot like the ancestor of Privateer
Quote:
Elite really scored big with the trading aspect of game play; the feeling of running a large quantity of contraband under the feds' noses - and getting away with it - remains unrivaled even today. Players would start out shipping small quantities of innocent cargos like food, furs, and textiles backwards and forwards between two planets (anyone remember Lave?), until they had made enough money to maybe purchase a laser upgrade, or extra missile for their newbie Cobra Mk.III space ship.

Jindra
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elite has been released as freeware by Ian Bell, one of its authors. For the curious, it may be downloaded for various platforms from his site:

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/

HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Elite! spot. All patches for all versions. Even patches to get the third generation to work with DirectX 5+.

Oh, and:

Some Elite! news... Looks like there may be new life breathed in the old game... :)

Elite 4? :drop:

Definately not your dad's Elite! insane
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was able to get Frontier to work in Windows 2000 - used the one patch that works with DX5.0+. Had sound and joystick (attached to gameport) working too. :D

Ran through a tutorial and was able to have about 500k and a very nice ship (the most popular) on hand before I ran out of time (medical mission went away).

Not a bad way to start a game... :)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonEater wrote:
Back to our roots! Elite for win32
Check this out... Someone re-wrote ELITE in C for Win32 operating systems... Should bring back a few memories eh?
http://home.clara.net/cjpinder/elite.html
Flight manual can be found here:
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/manual.htm
Have fun kids.
Pragmatik
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... the memories...

I had Elite for both C-64 and Amiga... Only made elite rating on the Amiga.

I also played FFE to DEATH! Strange that in this game, the ultimate bounty hunting ship was the heaviest freighter with it's cargo holds full of shields and a plasma cannon or two... :)

Cheers
Prag
Pragmatik
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an even sillier note...

This week I resuscitated my Amiga 4000 so I can play Frontier with wormholes....

Cheers
Prag
Bagger88
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL, Now that's what I call dedication!!! 8)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USENET TROLL (reliability=very low) wrote:
JumpGate isn't newtonian and IWar doesn't have a "special newtonian" toggle. Newtonian means that your ships engines realistically control velocity and momentum. And both IWar and Terminus fit that requirement better than any other space sim I played.

Right now I'm finding Terminus online at TerminusPoint to be some of the most fun I've had with a space sim ever. Even more fun than either IWar (which I enjoyed as well). One of the things I like about Terminus is what I absolutely hated about JumpGate. In the Jumpgate beta I wasn't even close to a reasonably equiped combat ship after 15 hours of play. In Terminus at intial character creation I can take my default ship and initial budget and get into combat in less than a hour of mundane patrols for upgrade money.
USENET poster (reliability=moderate) wrote:
(JJ)FFE has a better flight model then either IWAR2 or Terminus IMHO.. neither IWAR2 nor Terminus has any gravitational forces that effect your space-craft...in both games u can fly right up to a planetary object and it won't effect your velocity at all...in (JJ)FFE, if you get too close to a planet or star, and shut off your propulsion, (or worse, have it destroyed ) then sooner or later u'll be sucked into a firey death... =P

u really should check out FFE if you're into space-sims.. FFE reproduces the entire galaxy with stars and planets, rotational orbits, gravity, space and time... there isn't a whole lot of individual component selection that effect ship performance as in Terminus... basically.. u buy the ship and
engine/thrusters are as is.. some are better than others.. but the sheer vastness of space, and the fact that anything with enough mass will effect you..if you are in space or in a planetary atmosphere... ( yes, in FFE, u can orbit planets, and land on them using a [somewhat] believable physics model..) is more than mind-blowing... (JJ)FFE *IS* the best space/combat/trading sim ever... bar-none.. =P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: