UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mining data is gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> ARM projects & Homeworld forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Mining data is gone Reply with quote

Ok here's the bad news:

When Muffy left JG, he cancelled his Virtualave and Guidestone accounts. Those filestorage accounts held most if not all of our mining data, including the old PJG rotacol database and all of our Quant/Aman sector screenshots.

Some of the data (the ones he converted to the new format) is recoverable, as the links themselves provide the coodinates. The rest is a total loss.

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' till you can find a rock" --bumper sticker

"Server will be a bit, Josh says we're rebooting everything in sight"--GM_Istvan
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? Well, i suppose you and i should work out where you want me to upload critical files? I was actually hoping you'd contact me sooner.

*shrug*

it's not big deal, i have complete archives of both guidestone and virtualave. Why all the hysteria? just gimmie a shout and we can work out WHERE and how much i can shove into a host site.
    mine was costing me $40 canadian to keep the 150megs active per month
I take your compete silence in the matter of me wanting a database dump of these forums for nostalgia is somehow a punishment for cancelling my accounts? Since you didn't direct this thread to me personally but decided to get all melodramatic, i'm assuming you've already decided to deny me access to a database dump.

since you've obviously completely ignored me, i'm assuming i won't be extended professional courtesy at all. The fact you'll probably flame me with ad hominems instead of responding rationally i'm just going to download the forum into inefficient html dumps. (probably with something like "we can always recreate it the hard way. cya loser")

such a damned waste, dude.
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa Muffy, hold on a min. I'm working 2 jobs atm, a full time and a part time. My weekend, the only time I can even think about playing JG is on Tuesday and Wednesday. Working from 7AM to 12 Midnight means that even if I checked the forums I wouldn't have time to reply to anything, so I haven't had a chance to respond to you untill today.

The first thing I did today was to read and reply to your e-mail. My reply contained the information you requested, as it has too much dammage potential to post on the forums.

I can try to score some server space at the webhoster I work for, but it might take a couple days to get it worked out.

I'm sorry I couldn't respond to your request sooner, but RL has reared it's ugly head back into my life (I had been jobless for 3 months, trying to make up ground to pay off debts now)

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' till you can find a rock" --bumper sticker

"Server will be a bit, Josh says we're rebooting everything in sight"--GM_Istvan
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, sorry about that...bleh. I guess you took for granted i had archives up the yin-yang...I'll still hang around and hob-knob with folks here, just in case you'd assumed i'd totally cut off ties.

wait a tic. what email? oh...hotmail? ugh..lemmie go check...uhhhhhh. it's not there bro. you wanna send it again. my freakin hotmail gets tonnes of spam, i might have inadvertantly nuked your ip. yup i had. bloody hell.
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, sent it again, hope it goes through this time :)

I knew that you wouldn't leave the files up forever, I was just suprised at how fast they went down. After reading through all the forums I went to start downloading and saving em to my storage HD here at home untill I could find some webspace that wouldn't put me deeper into debt, but all the links were already dead.

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm...yeah, well i cancelled the virtualave account for fear they'd delay the red tape until i got billed.

Besides, it would be much easier and convenient to negotiate what kind of stuff you wanted. I'm sure i can whip up a nice winRAR archive of pertinent stuff and we can DCC over irc. or icq. whichever works. hell, we could even do it over Kazaa. lol (though i'm sure your email slot can handle a few megs of stuff, eh?)
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I work for a start-up webhoster, with a well timed pizza I can prolly get 100 megs or so with remote FTP access :eyespin:

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh. okie. just lemmie know where and what FTP and i'll crank up bulletproofFTP.exe
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a place that you could get something like 200MB of storage and 20GB worth of data transfer for $7.95/mo. They would set up a name for you or change the DNS for free. Gotta find that again...

Sorry to see ya go Muffy...
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that's suhweeeeeet! yeah. i really need to research a new host. i mean, i cancelled all my subscriptions because i knew in my heart i was throwing money away. I'm hoping to find something similar and would appreciate a linkage to that host.

well, i'm not gone from these forums. *g* I'll repair all the dead links and even improve the system i have to prevent future purges, but i will never go back to JG, nor will i update new subjects...

i'm sure in time all my data will become obsolete for all but the anti-nerf researchers.
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a good web-host: http://ipowerweb.com/products/index.html

200MB Hosting, Transfer 20GB, 150 POP E-Mail accounts, SSL, FTP, Stats, CGI, PHP, MySQL, and last of the list, Frontpage extentions.

3 Month Price - $30 Setup $9.95
6 Month Price - $30 Setup $8.95
12 Month Price (Free Setup) + Free Domain $7.95
24 Month Price (Free Setup) + Free Domain $6.95
Domain Names $20 A Year

What you don't see right away, is that they have a chat page already set up too. I had the person that got this show me the tools. Pretty sweet setup...or so it looks to me (the girl that showed this to me knows a lot more about internet stuff - so I'm taking her word on it).
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:eyespin:
weeee...okay, what i'll do is wait till the US dollar collapses from a stock market crash and then snatch up the 2 yr deal before the economy rebounds. hehe
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much thanks to MadCat i'm doing the slow process of repairing the links to www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/

what i've got done so far is.

• pjg roid database pool.
  • 7pm-still uploading virtualave/guidestone files...am planning on dealing with my FAQ's dead links first.
  • almost 9pm-finished repairing some people's avatars (i hate red x). now off to fix the FAQ.
  • midnight...got done the FAQ linkage a while ago. been doodling around at homeworld forums linking 1337 pics here. Think i'm going to take a rest now and get back to repairing more links later. aiming at dealing with the important ship pic and n00b help links.
  • hmmm...1am and i couldn't stop. felt a burning desire to resurrect my old "Team Ekoo"
  • oh dear, i've been buggering around with silly pics while in comic relief doing some repair and i guess it's now time to fix the "pr0n" galleries.

Quote:
    no rest for the wicked
  • ugh! 6am. got all the way down to patch52 screenshots then my mind fried

Last edited by MajorFreak on Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:55 pm; edited 6 times in total
Alshain
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muffy ya leave UMEC.. or just JG?

Hmmm... well I guess its kinda like both, even if ya havnt... at least until UMEC finds a new hom eh?

God JG sucks ass.... wish we could find something worthwhile soon.

I hate seeing core members of UMEC leave!
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kinda doing haphazard repairs all over...eventually get the entire load of links finished by next year. tired
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> ARM projects & Homeworld forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: