UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NWN (shipped)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

Location: Muffy went off on somebody and all i got was this lousy T-Shirt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 3:41 am    Post subject: NWN (shipped) Reply with quote

[Muffy Edit: IT'S SHIPPED!] Adrenaline Vault Article

has gone gold. (Eb says they'll have it on the 18th) Oh and hi everyone :D

Just stopped in, wanted to say hi, and I saw where I had the chance to beat Rainy to a new game thread, hehe. I now return you to your regularly scheduled Muffy post.
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleh. I don't even play Dungeon Siege anymore. When I bought it, I'd forgotten I disliked the mindless slaying that Diablo and all of its clones possessed. *sigh*
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...not me. NWN's gonna be the hottest ticket in town for fantasy. Old time DM me...AD&D 2nd edition i liked the most...never read the 3rd.

ah well, it'll be a hoot for sure. *shrug* games are games.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get NWN but... to be quite frank... my time is already seriously sucked up by FFX. Considering this is the first time ive played any of the Final Fantasies... *drool*
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot! (NWN)

I already have two copies on order.

One for my brother in law (bday present) and one for me, though I won't be picking either up till after my honeymoon (another Woot!).

Be gone from 14th till uhhh hmmm 28th or so. Western Carribean here I come. Anyone at around Miami/aboard the Norwegian Sun during that time, look us up :)

Lee & MJ Lightbody (no, it's not Native American)
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kami wrote:
Woot! (NWN)
One for my brother in law (bday present) and one for me, though I won't be picking either up till after my honeymoon (another Woot!).

Its a honeymoon - if theres only "another Woot!" youre doing something wrong.

Whats giving me a serious case of Wh000000tage right now is this. Damn. Diablo II 1.10, NWN, & FFX whill just have to suffer neglegt when I get me one of those.
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in seeing how the 3rd Edition rules actually work. Haven't played tabletop since they came out, and I don't think any other CRPG has them yet (Icewind Dale?). I've been in some IRC sessions with the guys from NWN Stratics in their Glendenmoor setting, and from what I can see, the new rules don't change the "flow" of the game at all. I'm still rolling dice, the numbers just get looked up in different tables.

If anyone wants to test out some Multi-player after it hits the shelves, let me know. I've been playing around with the Aurora Toolset, and am considering buying a new comp and turning my old one into a dedicated server, (possibly a portal to Glendenmoor).
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3rd Edition books, that I'm planning on ditching.

I admined on a 3e mush site. Like any incarnation it has its ups and downs I suppose. Though I rather like the 3rd over the other versions.

Take a look at the bbs on treyvan.com. They should give you plenty of debates that have occurred.
Tryon
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an e-mail from my brother and I can understand why NWN has gone gold. He's been doing beta testing the past little while (never told me! :evil: ) and he suggested that you'll probably want to buy a backup CD ROM and an extra copy of the game because you'll wear them out playing it. Must be pretty damn good if he's saying things like that (and my brother and I take our D&D pretty seriously). Hopefully, he'll invite me over sometime to let me play cause I cant wait for the release!
Dont make me kick your ass, Dave...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone remember that old module set in a rustic hill village motif where the module (for the first time) described the "base" village shop as having rarity shortages (percentage to have only x amount of y)...after that intriguing pitstop you were off to this old church/monastery/college on the side of a mountain via a quite novel random encounter technique...once at the site you found out it was actually a secret base for an orc invasion or something...at one point you run into some wardogs you can tame (pretty cool that)...then it was off to kill da boss, which became rather interesting since your exit plan involves passing through the bowels of the mountain via an underground river with passage that lead finally to a baby/young red dragon at the climax.

a wonderful module and i weep because, for the life of me, i cannot recall the name or module number. (seriously kill to get that - must have been OUT of print for a decade at least)
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20020121x#adv
http://store.wizards.com/category.asp?CategoryID=153

If it's not one on one of those, Wizards of the Coast might be able to figure it out for you. They have the rights to the tabletop stuff now I think.
Muffy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

freakin hell! weeeeee..downloading that sucker. seriously worth it. Guys? Gals? this suckers worth it's weight in gold. (all you need is this module, it's enough to spark your imagination so you never need another silly bought module again)

P.S. Douglas Niles stuff

Last edited by Muffy on Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PvPOnline
so true!! hahaah...I learnt that sometimes you could spend hours on a module and the guys/gals would just say, "hey! we'll just cruise on by THIS neighborhood" (aside: we wanna have another bar fight)

Summoner Geeks lol
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: WOOT! Reply with quote

Ok, got it yesterday, installed and played 14 hours straight. It rocks...

Btw, I havent logged into JG for almost a week now. Between Morrowind on Xbox, and NWN, I could see myself turning in my TRI Pilot's License. Especially if I get heavy into the Toolset to make modules.

For pure comedy gold factor, make a Half-Orc Barb with INT 6. Then talk to people. Priceless.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhh!!!!!
Wizards of the Coast wrote:
Can ESDs be purchased outside of the United States?
No. We are hoping to offer ESDs internationally, but do not have a target date yet.

And from this site:
In news directly from WotC: The release of our ESD products internationally has been delayed by some ongoing legal issues. We hope to make them available for purchase from any country where we regularly ship as soon as possible. You may want to sign up to receive our online store newsletter as an announcement will be made as soon as the country restrictions are lifted.

SLUTS! :evil:

ahhhhhh ahhhhhh!! and i just bought NWN too...waaaaaa i'm gonna cry

Anyone willing to do a paypal trade with me for the pdf? I'm dying for this module. You can find the purchase info there. Pretty sure that's a strict violation of the EUA. heeeeeee. OMG PUT ME IN JAIL NOW! roll

That module was also included in this compendium later released. (pretty sure that's out of stock)
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you not in the States? If not, I'll shell out the 5 bucks and send it to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have it here somewhere. Just have to find it :)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suhweet!! thx a tonne!. :D

ICQ 68347076
though i'm not sure. maybe we should try Kazaa transfer if you have it, or something else. you name the protocol and i'll grab the software needed.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure i can reimburse you through paypal. wink
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 26 meg PDF file so I'll zip it and see if it gets any smaller. And don't worry about reimbursing, it's only 5 bucks and I wanted it too. I don't have ICQ loaded up so maybe a DCC thru IRC would work.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
erm... craplink? the #jumpgate thingie. k. well, i'm playing ICQ tag with another bloke, so it'll be either you or him. *g*

me go sleep now. 8 hours straight NWN for second night in row. heheeee :o
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okie. i've got my ICQ up and running
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACK!!! phphphphtthph!! roll

what the hell? darn. maybe icq99 doesn't work too well with the newest version. sorry, Kami, the darned client disconnected on me.

i was trying to bugger around to see if i could get you to authorize me, but it went poof. agh.

i'll try to connect again ASAP...just reconnected. okie, i just sent a request for authorization to you. laaaaaa
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things...

I have 2001b and it was set to not allow peer to peer with versions below mine. Fixed that.

Also, if you just want to browse shared files, it may be easier. No authorization required.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Stability issues with NWN. Reply with quote

errr, *sigh*. I currently have a horribly warez version of NWN which may just be the source of these issues, so I thought I could check here with ppl that actually have the game to see if its worth me getting the thing just yet...

Basically... while the game works in single player (doesnt crash all that often), well, it seems pretty damn critical to save and save often.

The problem is with the dedicated server. I copied the game installation from my game PC to my server PC, fired up the dedicated server, and played through the prelude - that worked great. In chapter 1, the dedicated server seems happy to host parties that travel through the peninsula and beggars nest, but the moment I enter the blacklake district something seems to choke and choke badly.

My first try at the dedicated server - Im trying to figure out how to actually host more than one game at a time - involved copying nwserver.exe & ini files to a 2nd directory, tampering with nwn.ini so that the nwserver can find all the games data files, but autosaves to the local folder. So now I can simply create a directory "Quest1", "Quest2" etc, and have each directory hold - in the autosave - the last save of the party's state, each directory can point to different modules etc.

For the most part this setup worked - one can host multiple "persistant" campaigns on the same PC at the same time. wh000t.

BUT, specifically, when playing the default campaign, when entering the blacklake district, the frikkin nwserver.exe will generate an access violation the moment anyone in the party bumps into a mugger. The freaky thing is the client doesnt fault, the server faults!

So I gave up on the seperate directories to easilly persist multiple campains idea - and ran the nwserver directly from the copied install, suddenly the players can all travel in blacklake and kill muggers and stuff... but still, the server is frikkin unstable while players are in the area, and doesnt save the game correctly. If/when the server crashes, you simply point it at the last saved game, and it comes up with all the monsters dead, and queusts done, but the characters all restored at a very old state - the game ljust stops being able to load up the correct versions of the characters - you cant even import (local) versions of the characters that you export.

The only way to actually keep questing from this point is to kill the multiplayer idea for the standard missions - everyoen just carries off a copy of the servers last good autosave, and continues on solo.

So, when I finally manage to source a legitimate local supplier of the game, can I expect improved stability (I AM playing the 1.19 version here) - something that wont crash 4 times in 4 hours? (The only version of NWN ive managed to source locally so far comes from a retailer that wants to charge the local equivalent of $15 - so im not looking for moralistic replies decrying me as a software pirate - i *will* be getting the full version the moment I can find a legit local supplier).

Of course - if the retail game you all are playing is this frighteningly stable - I just might want to ignore NWN and ... well ... continue to eagerly anticipate the immanent Diablo II 1.10 patch ;) - almost time to delete all my chars and start D2X all over again.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a problem at all. Though I haven't played online yet.

Me and my 14th level Monk are cruising around looking for the 1st Word of Power :)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just started chapter 2.

there's a few bugs. i got silly black patches while wandering around a town and buildings and line of sight obstructions would disappear (a feature), but the blackbits would detract from the advantage.

I get disgusting shadow bug while using the rune hammer. (was a priest and figured i couldn't use bladed wpns. silly me...must be that any weapon can be used in 3rd edition)

I couldn't seem to complete the archeological dig about that never dude, even though i had all the artifacts. grrrr

They really should have included interior tiles for the outer urban settings (darned load times to explore 1 room and chat with a generic talkinghead citizen. bah!)

bags of holding aren't automatically 100% weight reduction (they vary) and they don't hold squat. (which is okay i guess)
other than that i'm lvl8 cleric starting the "port llast" 2nd chapter, with no real lockups yet. la la

i think it's neat one isn't faced with the micromanagement of one's NPC followers like DS, but i do miss it's jawdropping 99% seemlessness. *sigh*

ah well, i do like it...the replay value looks promising in NWN
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** Chapter 1 spoilers ***

The Never Tomb Quest... to finish it you ahve to go to that moonshine thingy bar. Theres a theif dude there that gives you a quest to steal the bits (Assumedly if you wanna play evil you actually give the bits to him), anyway talk to him, and threaten him for the piece he stole from the first quest. Qazoo. then take that back and yer done.

Heh - I just manged to finish each of the capter 1 henchmens quests - there is however still one locked door "maybe it will open later!" in the docks area.

Im currently finishing off the moon??? art theft quest. I originally ignored the doors - but the only driving force stronger than my goodie two shoes paladin approach to RPGs is my desire to see outstanding quest logs empty. (and dammit killed a civilian - a word of warning - if you see thugs accosting a "friendly", and youre a mage - DO NOT USE AN AREA ATTACK! I really tried not to kill her, but she ran quite fast, chasing me all over the map shrieking "please dont kill me" before my sorcerors familier finally got a swipe in and finished her off before I could get to the gate out and leave. argh - now i have an innocents blood on my hands...
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! Noooo.
Temple of Tyr: Never's Tomb is still blooming sitting in my quest log.

There are no more tombs dammit - I used all the ... *ahem* possible keys up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I did every quest.

Some I ignored (like most of the henchmen quests), and a few others I can't recall.

Being a monk is kinda kewl. I don't need any henchmen. I kill what I have to and bash what I can't pick, with a ring of elemental resistance and innate spell resistance, most traps don't bother me. I don't need magical weapons or armor (past those Dark Moon Robes) so have around 170,000 gp sitting there gathering dust :)

I think the words of power are chapter 3. Got 1, going after the 2nd :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: