UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dungeon Siege

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this game and it's quite fun... for a while. It needs some good MP action. Anyone up for some? Drop me a line.

rainyrainbowgirl@hotmail.com
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=]Demo graphic (640k)[/url]
Sweeeeeeet! dropped my jaw seeing the ground from the 5 story keep.
[url=]Demo graphic (480k)[/url]
Uhm...i wonder what that did? (found it in the first area before the Crypt)
    Looks fun, unfortunately i'm looking at 2 weeks fulltime work (at least)

I'd be willing to devote time playing multiplayer DEMO during midnight-dawn PST...otherwise i'm screwed for time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-04-22 10:03 ]</font>

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greebo
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a health shrine. Heals anyone standing in it for as long as they stand there. Great for long combats, but kinda rare so don't depend on em.

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUERY: i tested out multiplayer via demo (host IP) and i could import a single player character, but there's no saving stats. (so persistence is eliminated)

is this the same with the "zone"? is there persistence to ANY multiplayer action? (otherwise, why bother? looks fun though, but lack of "diabo"-like persistence is key for me.)
Greebo
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you own it, as the host, if you exit the game you are able to save the game, and your MP character is persisted at whatever level/skills he had at close.

However, my wife and I were actually disappointed by the game and haven't played it jointly since our first session (IN MP mode you can't have NPCs join or add pack mules -- lame) so I don't know about loading the MP game after a save. :sad:

Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you do with your character in MP is saved. Equipment acquired, money made, levels earned, all save. That includes quest items, but not quests. Fortunately, Utraenean quests are all structured so you can return to them/join them at any point.

i.e. if you play and get the first 6 townstones, then quit your MP game, and then restart a MP game, you can take up with the 7th stone.

It's all persistent, sort of: the only differences (and they're good or bad, depending on your outlook) is that every time you restart a MP game, the monsters respawn. The MP games only save character data, not world data. That's the persistence you're complaining about.

And yet... there's a benefit to that, too. *shrug*

See y'all there, if you want to join me. PM me and I'll see about hosting a Zone game. :smile:
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i care about are levels. (that and gear) Thanks for the update...Oh, and pack mules are cute. (though a bit munchkin)
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellll. What I get for not reading this forum for a while, lol.

I've just started the MP campaign by myself, just to raise my ArchMage's Ranged and Melee skills.

Anyways, somebody create a name for a game we can find and join should it be there. I'm willing.

Handle on Zonematch is Kamii.
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play as Richelle (L68 Grand Master) or Ariadne Swiftwind (L13 Magician). I can't host zone games behind my router (unless someone tells me how), but I can join games... Any time, any where. :smile:
Greebo
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of router?

I can tell you how to do it on a LinkSys
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eek level 68??? wow...bleh! must stop playing Demo version!
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOW? (I do have a LinkSys) I try to host games but it doesn't work. Not in Zone, anyways. They can see me listed, but can't find my computer. I also get dropped from Zone games when I try to play them, usually.

Help!
Greebo
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - when you go to the MP site for Dungeon Siege, the front tab is a lot of text, and buried in that text is information on which ports you need to open to host JG games.

The port range you need to worry about is the one for INCOMING data.

You have to configure the router to direct any incoming connections on the range of ports listed (something like 2400-2500 but I dont' have the exact #'s here) to YOUR computer.

So you need your computer's internal IP. To get that, go to a command window and type "netstat -na" -- the first IP in the first column (the IP repeated the most) will be yours.

Now browse to the linksys router in your browser (http://168.0.0.1 I believe) and log into the admin screens. Go to advanced functions, and one of the tabs is for opening up ports...

Open up the range of ports required by Dungeon Siege, and direct them to your computer's IP.

Viola - should work. :smile:

Good luck!
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ds.heavengames.com/
damned nice fansite. wow. okay, i'll be buying the game tomorrow, especially since i found out importing demo characters to retail is a cinch.
    Though people advise against playing multiplayer solo because the XP inefficiency means you'd level better in singleplayer (just import)...guess i was going about it "diablo1" style. hehe.

Anyways, on that note, here's a link to a mod that will allow you to set Veteran & Elite without level restrictions.
    http://www.patzelts.de/nolvl.zip
    la la
farsee & MP packmule hacks available here:
http://www.thelandofds.com/

Decent forum is available here:
http://vnboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=28344832
Link is to a thread on MP. here's a snippet...
Quote:
Aye, you can level slower, but if melee friend is getting greedy, stop the nice Healing wind and such. If you have a nice friend he will want to level as well. Let him rely upon the health elixirs or his own nature skill.

My situation, 1melee, 1combat, and a nature mage(me). My melee friend got too comfortable with rushing everything and killing it all before us mages really had a chance to start doing anything. We'll I asked that he slow down a bit and when he didn't he got no more heals from me. Funny how they slow down, a lot when they run out of elixirs. Yep, I stayed behind in levels, but the higher levels are where you start to shine. Melee friend kept doing as he was but didn't like it much when my combat mage friend and I returned the favor after 60+. Combat mage+pet+pillar of fire was completely destroying everything and me with my Sun Ray(range 13 fast casting DD spell that doesn't miss)+pet+storm(high damage lighting spell that hits anything in range for dur40 is nice).

Really depends on play style IMO which you'll be best off with. I've a level 65 archer/nature as well and he doesn't kill as fast, but rarely gets in trouble either.

*ramble off*
ooooo...BUFFS STACK THEIR TIME. k3wl
and OMG! i found a map for the Utrean Peninsula campaign. wow.
And for a fascinating lecture on multiclassing and xp sliders...here.
    Though i'm really not sure about easy/normal/hard difficulty affecting XP rewards...it looks like it balances out.

But i AM certain if you play Veteran/Elite mode you'll get more xp, but solo-ing in MP is inefficient. (though, the thing is i'm not sure if one can play a SP game over again with a previous character)

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-04-25 08:49 ]
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeek! dammit - Too late I suppose. Oh well.
Dungeon Siege - I hate it. Played the demo a bit got thougharaly pissed off with it over the course of one weekend.

Despite the lack of 3d gfx, I find Diablo II much more playable. Yes - I play D2X AND prefer it to DS!

Diabli II multiplayer is just SO much more seamless than Dungeon Siege - at least on a LAN - and since playing D2X in hardcore - well ive just lost all respect for how other games handle death. Using "LoadGame" to get past sections of a game is just evil - either the game must handle death in a gracefull recoverable way - or when you die you die dammit! After D2 & D2X I just cant take games with "Load Game" options seriously anymore.
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have to agree with you all, to a point. DS is pretty lame, once you've played a while. I got my main up to L71, but DS's lack is a near-absence of plot. There's just no reason to play. If I want to be with friends... I'll fly my Phoon. :smile:

Seriously, DS AND D2 and other pseudo-3d hackandslash games just don't offer what I'm looking for, I guess. Not that Jumpgate's much better - still a lack of plot and active, evolving events (though more than DS!)

I play tabletop RPGs too, and those lack the visuals, the sense of 'being there' that computer games grant. The sounds and sights can't be recreated by (most) GMs verbally.

Reading books is great too, and more interactive than a movie (your imagination must engage the text or you won't enjoy it) but they lack too because of having a static plot. CYOAs (Choose Your Own Adventure) don't count.

So where does that leave one seeking plot, friends, and an immersive universe?

Bleh. I wonder if NASA is hiring...
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished the SP game.

why i hated it?
  1. Too few decent gear/spells and the ones you have you either never need to change anything or you're micromanaging.
  2. No ability to hire npcs/donkeys in multiplayer and the linear plot line never really allowed one to call one spot "home" and interact with the locals (you were always going onward for harder trials and better gear)
  3. dull enemies and poor rewards (most times the boss gave crappy items and luck played a part in those. abysmal)
  4. Totally hamstrung wpn/bow/spell/spell selection that screwed the seamlessness of combat (especially the lack of a third spell option - ie. heal/summon/combat)
  5. Only control one summoned creature per caster?!?! (and how much mana does it cost!?)
  6. The "Laura Croft" feel of the visuals...after a while it all seemed to blah. Vistas? sure, but it wasn't anything like seamless. you had vistas then you had silly repetitive battles. they never seemed to combine.
  7. Cutscenes? where? who? what? And the ending of the game was pretty anticlimactic. (you mean i did all this out of the goodness of my heart?!?!)
  8. Lack of special abilities!! yes! that was the key thing that excites me about Diabo2 (yes i still have it installed on my computer)
  9. I don't even want to mention the spooge factor of NWN...droool!
  10. And talking about multiplayer. what the hell was up with the zonematch stuff? no ping readings? wtf? inability to order the games in anything but alphabetical??!?
  11. omg! and the lack of town portals! aieee!! (not to mention the transmute was a rip off spell)
  12. the soundeffects of the Dragon chaingun was pretty annoying after a while
*sigh* You know what? the game would be great for mods and stuff. really cool stuff, especially if one used the viewhack (haven't yet)

I enjoyed it...especially the squad tactics. Just too bad it cost me a pretty penny, since it has ZERO replay value.
    now, an analogy to Diablo2 and this game would be to say the entire game you're doing the jungle run...that damned maze of annoyingly fast little critters and their blowguns.

now imagine a whole month doing that.

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-05-28 00:54 ]
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if some good mods come out ill consider buying it.

A Diablo II mod just might rock in the Dungeon siege engine... then again the skill system is probably too intrinsic to the engine for any sort of implementation of the Diablo II classes and skill system to be considered.

I played a borrowed copy of DS long enough to get a single character up to level 30 after deciding that micro managing an entire party was just tedious in the extreme. So I fired the lot and kept my starting combat mage + donkey for loot.

The only reason I played as far as Act IV / level 30 was a perverse belife that surely it was going to get better soon.

Bah.

After wandering around in a endless seeming swamp that looked pretty but was one dull battle after another I threw in the towel and decided that it was time to figure out MySQL - so im now snapshotting the jossh inventory to a mySQL db. Now i must just figure out something usefull to do with all that data... (4213 rows every 10 minutes adds up quickly)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad we can't get intel on what missions are getting taken/completed.
Bagger88
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I owed it to Chris Roberts to play DS just because of all the Wing Commander and Privateer goodness he produced. I agree, the game gets boring fast and multiplayer on the zone was major laggy.

I just want to point out that my faith in PC Gamer is dropping daily. They refuse to acknowledge JG's existance, yet gives a boring game like DS 91%. Money talks and Editors suck.
Hink
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jst installed and started playing DS - So far I like jst big and seems to take long time to move forward.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your best bet is to follow the trails. don't go off the beaten track because it's horribly linear and the treasures are mostly random, so don't expect any cool stuff just cause you found a wicked hidden spot.

the other tip is to specialize. you MUST have a warrior who works on strength (to wear the heavy armour and vitality). You also must have a specialized COMBAT mage, otherwise you'll end up with stupidly low lvl healing clerics.

Also, get your dexterity up because the rings/amulets to boost str/dex are few and far between...you'll want to use the "dragon chaingun" which needs 29 dex (that's later on in the swamps though)

hmmmm...can't think of much more than that, but if you have a powerful computer do try that viewhack cheat. otherwise you'll find the "fog" hampers the enjoyment of the aesthetics.

finally, the only disappointment in the game was the only time i really enjoyed the game was when you get ambushed from all sides...sadly, that aspect of the game is apparent in only one level of the game. (which is a real damned shame...i was actually enjoying the paranoia it developed)
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - I only got a single character to level 30 but...

well - i woudn't have made it past level 10 unless I did the following:

Ignore the damn party aspect of the game. Micro-managing party members bites. With any sort of party you get members that get kills and members that dont and the ones that do level faster and the others get left behind level wise and its just a damn struggle.

So i fired the lot of them, and went forth with just my starting character - a pure combat mage. Which did me well until the swamp that just uninspired me.

BongGoggle
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i play DS off and on, when i get my cable modem ill want to play online.
dial up lags to bad. there is an editer you can download for free at the DS website. i will prob make some levels :) I have to say I like diablo a lil better, the game to look for is Never Winter Nights, this is a baulders gate type of game and will let a player take the DM job, sounds fun :)
you can find me on battle net & zonematch as "ferndip"
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix on USwest...Pikazon. though i've not got the expansion :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: