UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why have we built Subspace Transceivers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Why have we built Subspace Transceivers? Reply with quote

Why have we built Subspace Transceivers?

We've been able to communicate 'globally' via F2, F4 and F5 channels for years, without KTRI, by way of "Trans-sector radio transmitters located within each Jumpgate". JOSSH documentation states this quite explicitly in the TRI sensor array database entry.
Beacon Tech Specs (flight academy) wrote:
Trans-sector radio transmitters located within each Jumpgate receive these signals, allowing for cross sector beacon data transmission.
Everyone is tired of the redundant broadcasts of the newly built Subspace Transcievers. What is the real purpose of building such devices when the JumpGates could have quite easily provided the same function via multiple channels?

There's something that needs to be said here. TRI isn't funded by the numerous corporations profiting daily from exploitation of the resources of the various and sundry solar systems they have been able to reach via conventional means for over a thousand years -- It's funded by public taxes for the benefit of these interstellar corporations. (a practically free R&D department)

One needs to realize that only 9 habitable planets capable of sustaining billions have been so far discovered in this galaxy next to viable jumpgates, and if the corps know of any more, they ain't telling!

Look, there's been a long series of expansions since SRI first pushed out into the stars to reclaim lost territories a thousand years ago. During that time there's been a build up and "colonization" of hundreds of systems that aren't near viable jumpgates. Who picked up the initial tab? You guessed it: taxpayers. Who owns most of the starsystem resources in our galaxy? You guessed it: Interstellar corporations that got a steal of a deal. You think corporations pay taxes they don't want to pay? i think not!

The re-colonization of the pre-collapse systems was provided by NLS propulsion similar to what the ancients used so long ago. All we lacked was their FTL communications technology that didn't need JumpGates. 500 years ago we began using JumpGates to communicate. Though efficient comms between systems without jumpgates was impossible until now.

Now, TRI has built the prototype Subspace transceivers capable of FTL communications across vast distances without needing JumpGates. It's only a matter of time till corporations begin construction of their own. It's probably already begun. Subsidized, no doubt, by faction government coffers!

Corporate welfare is still alive and well...Though i suppose everyone thinks TRI isn't corrupt at all. heh!
JOSSH timeline wrote:
3320-2700BT
No historical data can be reconstructed during this period. Scientists believe that as a result of the NLS propulsion system the distances became so great as to make effective communication impossible.

2670BT
Charta Solaria discovered. The CS is a rather lengthy treaty between what was then already called Solrain and Octavius. It mainly deals with the establishment of borders and neutral areas. There is no mention of the technology that enabled both races to meet or communicate.
Bibliography
----------------
*IC*
Timeline: http://jumpgate.netdevil.com/flight_academy/timeline.html
Database: http://jumpgate.netdevil.com/database/buildings/subspace_transceiver.html
JOSSH news:
http://jumpgate.netdevil.com/jgeng/ArticleReader?p=sector/archive&n=sub_space_radio.html
http://jumpgate.netdevil.com/jgeng/ArticleReader?p=sector/archive&n=FM_phase2.html
*OOC*
http://swe.starwarsclub.org/sourcebook/communications.htm
http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Comm/Comm1.html
*IRL*
http://members.dandy.net/~mjyoung/quantum.htm

Glossary
----------
NLS = near light speed (propulsion)
"A Heretic may see the truth and seek redemption. He may be forgiven his past and will be absolved in death. A Traitor can never be forgiven. A Traitor will never find peace in this world or the next." -Cardinal Khrysdam: Instructum Absolutio
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: 2nd revision/addendum/errata Reply with quote

<EMBED SRC="http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/PIC/JG/official/subspace_transceiver.swf" swLiveConnect="FALSE" WIDTH="300" HEIGHT="250" QUALITY="high" MENU="false" BGCOLOR="#000000" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" ></EMBED>

Jumpgate FTL comms merely transmit their signal through the anomaly to the other JG in the "adjacent" sector. Whereas, KTRI Relays have the ability to transmit conventional broadcasts via a FTL technology developed out of understanding the hyperphysics behind the Anomaly/Jumpgate hybrids and aided by Conflux research regarding the topography of their dimension. "Subspace" or "Hyperspace" so to speak.

So we have 3 "Subspace Transceiver" relay stations that, on the surface, were built to improve cross-factional morale, seeing how there's only one KTRI channel, and appear quite redundant not only for the quality of transmissions but for their actual presence so near JumpGates. So if we look at it this way, it simply begs the question, "Why didn't KTRI just base it's broadcasts out of the TRI stations instead of wasting resources?"

The problem with that view is that it's a pretty blinkered take on reality, if one takes the time to think of stretching FTL comms beyond the sectors reachable by Jumpgates. Let me repeat my first sentence in this thread in case you falsely assume jumpgates broadcast an FTL signal: Jumpgate FTL comms merely transmit their signal through the anomaly to the other JG in the "adjacent" sector.

Further study reveals that the 3 FTL transceiver prototypes themselves don't really depend on the jumpgate comm network. If one were to work as a KTRI relay technician, the jumpgates are seen as a useful redundancy. Why? Well, the 3 transceivers we can see are merely the first of the stepping stones to getting FTL communications in places remote from JumpGates. If one forgets that 9 planets do not a galaxy make, that's not my lookout!

Obviously, FTL relays for a NLS civilization, except for an elite group of gengineered pilots that make up TRI, is highly valuable as a strategic asset that MegaCorporations would desire control over, especially for competition with rivals and to control their far flung corporate empires.

Now, the reason for THREE prototypes becomes crystal clear...Chromforge, Tens & Piney and OctPropulsionLabs each produce most of their faction's gear. Corporations can hardly be anything else but factionalist entities. The proof is that if they weren't competitive &/or controlled by TRI then we would not have to import optimal foreign gear because the local corp factory would have blueprints for the best gear possible. (*OOC* "Cookie Cutter")

Since the Megacorporations are so tied to their faction origins it follows that the factions are autonomous and TRI is merely an elite group of interstellar testpilots flying prototype "FTL" starships while the vast majority of the galaxy flies NLS spaceships. (*OOC* "TRI ~ EEC")
"A Heretic may see the truth and seek redemption. He may be forgiven his past and will be absolved in death. A Traitor can never be forgiven. A Traitor will never find peace in this world or the next." -Cardinal Khrysdam: Instructum Absolutio
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url=http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=7319#7319][img]http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/PIC/JG/SSN_swf-capture.gif[/img][/url]

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloomash wrote:
Subspace Net (SSN)
Its the Data backbone of The Reconstruction Initiative. The communication is done over the Subspace-Transceivers and Beacons. It has evolved to a galaxy wide net.

On every station and in every ships client computers are installed, that can normally be used to communicate with clients or the hosts on stations. The communication center on stations are the link between planet comm-centers and the rest of the Universe. (expecially for science and companies)
    Every Faction has it's own use for the SSN:
  • Sols use it for stock markets, trade and economical.
  • Quants more for religious things, a new thing is the Nal'Chare'I temple that exist only in the SSN.
  • Octs turn their attention towards the tactical usage, especially
  • It is also an home for cybercriminals and of AIs that were created in experiments and escaped the laboratories.
OOC: Myself sees the SSN more like the Shadowrun Matrix, with the special cybernetic implants you can dive in, and its a own worlds. Cyberware/Bioware

I'd have to say this bodes well for fleshing out my "infrastructure" idea...we should collaborate. (scratch that. i'm just gonna plagarize you like the stinking thief i am)

I do have one question though: do you really think the Subspace Transceivers can actually talk to each other directly? or was that just shorthand for "i dunno how they do, but they do"? BTW, where are the subspace transceivers and how many are there on the EU server? (we might even consider trying to keep the US and EU versions of infrastructure in sync)
    ie. our stories straight or the n00bs will die from brain implosions

Last edited by MajorFreak on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah now I found the post.
I will do some essays and descriptions of my view, when Abitur is over.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well well well. check this out...
Shual wrote:
This thing was posted a long time ago. The "ansibles" are the subspace transcievers, which gave us KTRI.

jeez. looked up ansible in the dictionary and i couldn't find it. (see the link embedded in ansibles above.)
    though, being smart asses they came up with the idea it was an anagram. lol geeks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: