UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When in Rome...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> ARM projects & Homeworld forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing Homeworld about a month ago, found it in a discount bin for $10 bucks.

I'm hooked (and Junkyard Dogs are a bitch to kill (even worse when he's got a hold of your one and only carrier))

I've just about beat the singleplayer game, gonna have to go out and find cataylism soon though :eyespin:

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' till you can find a rock" --bumper sticker

"Server will be a bit, Josh says we're rebooting everything in sight"--GM_Istvan
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes...hmmm. it's been forever and a day since i played that game. lol. If you ever have problems or questions just hop on over to Homeworld land:

www.relicnews.com (forum links as per usual on the sidebar)
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadCat wrote:
I started playing Homeworld about a month ago, found it in a discount bin for $10 bucks.

I'm hooked (and Junkyard Dogs are a bitch to kill (even worse when he's got a hold of your one and only carrier))

Make better use of salvage corvettes in the early missions. For reasons known only to themselves the multibeam frigate AI does not target salvage corvettes - you can pick up a fleet of 18/19 multibeam frigates in the early missions. Thats two groups of 9 arranged into a 3x3 wall formation.

A single group of multibeam frigates can destroy almost any frigate class ship you tell them to target in a single volley... capital ships sometimes take more.

The hardest ship in the game to kill is the junkyard dog - that one ship takes like 4 volleys or so iirc from both groups of multibeam frigates.

The most effective fleet composition for single player missions I find (assuming kushan) consists of attack bombers, heavy corvettes , at 10-20 salvage corvettes until the multibeam frigates are gotten, multibeam frigates, at least 8 support frigates (try to capture more), 6 drone frigates (build them before you run out of frigate slots capturing multibeams), all destroyers are missile destroyers, and of course cruisers and carriers as you see fit.

A fleet thus composed can get you right to the final mission, and even there is so effective when wielded properly that you can turn a mission that was designed to hammer you badly with constant battles, onto a rather leasurely sequence of "small" (over quickly) engagements, which makes the paniced cries of "oh no more attackers" from fleet command and the other voice all the more amusing for the fact that no battle is currently taking place - in fact youre simply busilly strip mining the nearby resource field as a matter of principle before moving against the enemy base.

As for cataclysm... the biggest tip i can give you here is once again - ignore fleet command when it complains the mother ship is under attack - let the mother ship defend itself in the early mission - the mother ship (like all) will become a vetran that gives boosts to speed (and firepower or accuracy???). Anyway - *use* the mothership as your primary ffensive weapon - if the game asks you to scout an area - move the mother ship there, and position it in battles so that its fields of fire can cover any other ships you wish to defend. Plus - if the enemy *do* decide to attack it - for the most part its the most heavilly armored ship in the game and can easilly survive what would mean total destruction for other ships.
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I hear, the more I'm tempted to rummage the discount bins for Homeworld myself. :)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's my one and only favorite game. *g* Bar none. makes JumpGate look like something derek smart would "create" and sirbruce would pimp.

The replay value of Homeworld is unbelievable...the intro movie is stunning...the seemless immersion with angus dei music is overwhelming.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy13 wrote:
The more I hear, the more I'm tempted to rummage the discount bins for Homeworld myself. :)

Do so. you wont be dissapointed. very pretty, very playable. Its my 2nd most reinstalled and replayed game after Diablo II
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah... the good old days. Homeworld. Relic Boards. JG beta. I found myself posting under my old borrowed account on the second link at the very top..

HW is the best game i have ever played. Period.

Heh, i got into a discussion with some guy today who said that Cata > HW. He though HW was completely unbalanced because cap ships couldnt shoot down fighters. ROFL! What an idiot! Cata sux because cap ships CAN shoot down fighters!

lol. my little rant. hehe.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> ARM projects & Homeworld forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: