UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savant needs to use his own advice about common sense

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAN YOU SAY "LOOPHOLE"?
Fagg0ty 'civil' little bitch post by Zerphane
Talk about generalization. pffft!

The creator of this thread doesn't even mention who stated this opinion, how many people took this stance, and where it was stated. I believe this is merely door-to-door saleman tactics and aggressive techniques to state a hateful opinion by calling it "someone else's opinion (plural) and i'm really really being civil posing it too *g*"

Why Savant has the balls to state common sense "rules" in a sticky but let machiavellian expediency like this get through is unbelievable. (It's like driving a loaded tow sideways through the loophole.)

I can hardly wait to see reasoned debates about racial superiority with Savant deleting any criticism of the topic itself, "cause it's a civil debate about racial issues"
Quote:
Example: "hi guys! i'm new to the EU server and i'd just like to know why people hate Giomani? everyone seems to hate him, but i haven't heard why. please help my n00b self understand why he sucks so much"
pffft. Your honeymoon's over, Savant. Use some common sense yourself, instead of pulling the wool over our eyes.

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-02-20 13:07 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM_Virgin decides to stick head up arse
And it becomes a flame fest...duh!
Quote:
GM_Savant wrote:
Virgil is handling the balance issue with you guys, so I'm staying out of it for the moment. I'd rather watch from afar and gauge the response.

However, I'd like to ask you all for a favor here. Please cut the "ND doesn't care," "No one is listening to us," "Themis hates us," "why not just stick needles in our eyes" crap. We are listening, and if that isn't evident by yesterday's balance thread and today's entire spreadsheet and analysis of balance, I don't know what is.

Balance is not something to be taken lightly, and the fact that we want to do this right versus just picking the easiest-to-implement solution should be a big indicator to you guys that not only do we care about the game balance, but we care about your play experience and the long-term integrity of the game.

Or if you want me to sum up this post in 4 words: Cut us some slack.

We're listening.

- Daniel
the more i think about this firkin ridiculous thread and it's implications the less respect i have for ND's "vision"...there's been alot of people leave this game over the total inability of ND to pull it's collective head out of it's arse.

"Blaze"?? ~3x a caster's thrust; ~1/2 a caster's efficiency; ~same mass.
THE MASS OF A CASTER ENGINE. A SIZE 2 ENGINE! TWO!!
And what will the cost be? Something as insane as an instigator cost?!?! why not...this game gets loopier and more like a Verant cesspool every stinking patch.

Virgil: I don't care where you came from but next time hold a brainstorm session with some of the more respected veterans like Baadf00d, Nohbody, and Armchair. (i don't know who you got your information from, but it's flawed in more ways than three...did more harm than good, actually...hell, even mother freakin teresa couldn't salvage this tragedy)
Xylaan
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MF. First of all, while I figure they should just simply reduce the mass on the nix rather than doing it in the engine, I don't understand why you're so hung-up on the fact that the mass is so low.

First of all, as technology advances, things tend to be lighter, and smaller, and sometimes even more efficient.

While they don't want to make it smaller (it's supposed to be size 5), or more eff (so it doesn't affect tow performance), they could rationalize the lighter b/c it's a new technique for producing thrust. Heck, they can say the reduced efficiency is BECAUSE the engine designers were attempting to work towards a lighter, more powerful engine, w/o much regard to eff at all.

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UHM...dude. stop flaming me and expect me not to retaliate, k? Your assumption is that of some S.O.T.A. curve that makes sense (even if it's radical design). It's not...i makes seriously NO SENSE. In fact, it flies in the face of a few facts.

NEWS FLASH! THEMIS GROUP DENIES REALITY! UP IS NOW DOWN!

Get this Phoenix lovers: remember that increased powerplant output you got a few patches back that enabled your to fire full throttle with maxxed wpns? You all complained that the "Nix" still had major problems dodging missiles because of it's mass/acceleration curve. (you called for an extra modx, or a nerf to missiles, or a new type of anti-missile system via ECM, or more armour)

We all agreed that there was just too much "weight" and even though the "nix" was slowest of it's class, we all just wanted it to be able to survive missile spam like the other ships can in it's class.

Well, guess what? Themis Group technicians (while under the influence of god knows what) decided to do a "one step forward, two steps back" approach to Phoenix design and floated a trial balloon called, "Blaze"
    Blaze was a "mass reduction artifact + artifact engine" production line hybrid
Sounds cool eh? Less mass = more acceleration, right?
there's a wee catch: you get to play with the throttle while firing again. weeeeee (and how did that happen? Cause in order to drop the mass of the engine via "anti-gravity module" they decided that it would be powered. yes folks! until now modx were unpowered!)

Not only did they screw the pooch, they made the owner pucker up too. (how ya like sucking dog poop, felcher?)
    [edit]: for perspective: ND/TG consider the ships balanced CURRENTLY...the player base wants the nix to have more speed...ND/TG consider speed to be proportional to power surplus (in some sick and twisted way akin to stalinist revisionism)...therefore to please the nix pilots pleas for more speed they discern that less power should be give. period. (they don't consider an extra modx cause that would "break the game"...when in fact it's hypocritical after ND gave the phoon an extra capacitor slot.)
[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-03-07 10:51 ]
Quote:
Originally posted by 1c3mAn
The devs most likely felt that the CentV plus a 6v boost was equal to a 20v boost to the other fighters.
    [edit]: what part of proxynerf don't you understand? Just because ND isn't maliciously screwing with our minds, doesn't mean ignorance is a defense against the law...They assume the nix/phoon/tens mix was balanced before the bomber patch...they still assume it to be the case.

THAT is the issue, and that is why all their "balance" tweaks turn out to be yet more proxy's to keep the nix nerfed.

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-03-07 12:09 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by GM_Virgil
Code:

NEW     Dream
Thrust:       3850k   3680k
Efficiency:    .49     .62
Mass:         3500    9500

Using these numbers will have the following effects:

1) The Phoenix top speed will be boosted from 430 to 439
2) Phoenix surplus power will drop from 3224 to 1303
3) Force/Mass Ratio will be boosted from 69.44 to 81.94
okay, reality check.
______________________________before that big ship patch the ships went:
nix 424v (6030k surplus after pint)
phoon 445v (2047k surplus after spore)
tens 433v (6527k surplus after pint)
NIX IS 21V SLOWER THAN PHOON (5%)
______________________________after the big ship patch the ships went:
nix 430v (9390k surplus after pint)
phoon 464v (2113k surplus after pint)
tens 451v (6527k surplus after pint)
NIX IS 21V SLOWER THAN THE INTENSITY!
tens 451v (6527k surplus after pint)
THE WHOLE DAMNED THINGS EXACTLY LIKE IT WAS PATCH 36!!! All we're missing is the damned disco ball and some hip 80's tunes

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-03-07 13:36 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, off on another "Bash Savant" adventure...PJG news article
heehe...i'm so mean. *titter*

EDIT: CRAP! i goofed with a typo...it wasn't Savant, but Arch0n. grrrr

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-03-15 16:49 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Flame War All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: