UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first Speed-Dock Under Fire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may post this in the JOSSH/RP boards... Let me know if I have approval, MC?

*** Disclaimer - from UMEC policy ***:

1. UMEC Beacon Policy: UMEC pilots are Not forbidden to flip beacons, However please refrain from flipping Faction beacons to a non-faction color (ie: don't flip an Oct beacon Green) Also beware when retuning mis-colored beacons in home faction space, or colored beacons in neutral, Hyp, or Aman space as you will need to set Honor Guard to do so.

3. UMEC Honor Guard Policy: UMEC pilots are permitted to use HG Tags, However: when flying with HG tags you may be fired upon and killed for any number of reasons. Pilots who choose to fly HG do so at their own risk, as they may not receive squad support if they get into trouble. If an UMEC pilot is attacked while flying HG it is considered a personal matter, not a squad matter.

So don't take this message as an attack against UMEC. I just wanted to see if I could do this. Also the pilot's memory may not be the most accurate, but these are the events as he remembers them at this time.

*** End Disclaimer ***

*Settles down to have another pitcher of Oct Light to settle his nerves...*

Wow, boss, it was pretty hairy... I was doing some tranny runs in my Squall, and going from Corr to QC. When I got in Inner Roh Cloud, I noticed 2 DSA 'tens that were HG. I didn't figure nothing of it - that they may have been heading out to O3 since they were flying past me (I wasn't HG at this time).

Next thing I know the JG flashed... again... and again... and... Man!!! I didn't catch how many there were, but it looked to be at least 8 HG DSA and other Sol ships. Many 'tens and a few rangers. I got to thinking to myself that something was afoot.

I went ahead and docked at QC and saw that there was a red beac in Omni IV. So I went HG and flipped it on my way to TP with another tranny mission. I dock at TP and look around, and there were like 4 Sol that docked then launched while I was there. I looked at Quan space and Noticed that all the sectors between QC/QD/Corr were turning blue.

Being Quan that really got irked me!!! How dare they come down here and flip Green beacs to Blue. So I keep HG and launch with a mission to Corr. In TicTacs', I ran across about 4 HG 'tens, but they were no match for my awesome speed! And I proceeded through LW, QD, and started flipping beacs when I got to HoR up through Dark Trail.

When I got to Corr, there were a few HG Sols there - coming from Dark End. I performed a nice speed dock, but did not come under fire. I didn't get a list of names of the Sol pilots that docked while I was there.

I took a mission to QD and was going to go the long way to get the rest of the beacs. - Outer Roh Cloud, Inner RH, SoQ. I set my waypoints before launching, and very glad that I did so, because the next thing I know when I get to Dark Trail again, is that Innom (in a ranger) was on my tail - requesting that I not flip "his beacs". I retorted, "This is Quan space, I flipping them green." The response I received was, "Not any more. Sol now claims Quan space." This irked me to the point that I said, "Whateva". - The chase was on (I'm still HG)!!!

I got to thinking to myself, "I've only got one FF (1 camera, 1 BCU), so I'm probably not about to out-run him." But run is what I did, my thoughts of flipping the beacs was gone. Whoooo... A merry little chase. I had my mission to think about too, but I put that thought on the back burner and figured that QD would probably be the best place to dock anyway. It could shield me from anything that might come at me - and I've had a lot of practice recently on docking there - so I knew exactly when to flip (2.5k was optimum, 2k would cut it close).

I have no idea where I was, only keeping my eyes on that Waypoint beac. One time Innom pulled close to me that he was pegging my shields, I was going evasive but my shields were still gettin nailed a bit (maybe got down to about 50%). At this time I thank Haz that I had a defiler on, because that recharge rate was very nice!

For a split second a thought crossed my mind, "Should I just eject now and save the trouble of docking? Nah. There is no honor in ejecting..."

So at the next JG I jumped into the next sector, then wait for my jump engines to charge back up, and jumped back... Morgan was there (in another ranger), but at the other end. He was coming at me, and I noticed that he slowed down to under 100v. Thinking to myself, "Well, I don't think I'm going to go to QC - not with Morgan in the way." Not wanting to get stuck between a hard and a harder place, I opt to jump back - hopping that Innom was not camping at the gate.

I was in luck!!! I think he was heading either to the beac or to The Dark Path JG, and so the way was clear for me to head to QD's JG! As soon as he saw me, he changed his course to head for QD - but was over 10k away. The race was really on!!! He managed to get close enough to peg me a few times, but I was totally focused on running to pay him heed. I juked a bit so dodge some of the incoming fire. I cut my thrust the moment before I hit the JG! *poof*

I'm in QD, quickly find the station, and reorient myself and hit my AB (down to less than 10% now - had used my my FF earlier). I could remember from doing my tranny runs between QD and TP that 2.5k was optimal flip distance, 2k was cutting it close - close is what I needed. Innom was on my tail, 'rack rounds scoring on my shields, and when I flip to break, I hear my missile warning beep twice. Thinking to myself, "Oh, great, if there was any time that I needed to speed dock, this is it!"

I finish my flip and glance back to see how close I was to the rings, totally ignoring everything else happening - and in the back of my mind knowing that Innom would pass me before the missiles would be upon me. My whole being focused on docking procedures I blanked out everything else. I hit the thrust and got my speed cut to under 25v, I turn and hit my breaks at the same time and managed to get my speed to about 10v. In that moment I thought, "I hope this works, I know the ranger bleeds speed quick." and aimed at the dock and hit my thrust...

Too long!!! I glance at my speed and it was about 110. I quickly hit my breaks again, and hit the dock tube!!!

I look around... My thoughts, "Did I make it?" I checked the station's name... QD... I registers... I made my first speed dock under fire!!! And I don't even remember hearing my armor get hit. I am weak as I get out of my ship, but exhilarated at the same time. I can't ever remember being so focused on a single task before in my whole life. I turned my mission contents over to the dockworkers and headed off to the pub to try to calm my nerves.

So here I am. I managed to survive to tell the story of "My First Speed-Dock Under Fire."
Faust
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there to see the whole thing. Most excellent.

In fact, I nominated you for the outstanding action by a Quantar medal for it. Protecting quant space at risk of life and limb and all that.

-=Faust=-
BongGoggle
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its my opion that these guys can't stand the heat of the EEA oven, so they come to pick on the peace loving quants. can you say, "smells like chicken?"
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no objections to this being posted
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shouldn't have to worry about DSA. If they want to flip the Quant beacons fine, we'll go flip em back (HG rules apply but shouldn't be an issue) DSA considers beacon skirmishes to be politicaly neutral activities. Now I'm not saying you HAVE to go flip em back, but if you want to and are willing to accept the risks by all means go for it.
Alshain
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...

Looks like its beacon flippen time....

oh wait...

dam Im broke...

wonder if they can take out me shuttle...

heh

:grin:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: