UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fun with Derek

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 8:25 am    Post subject: Fun with Derek Reply with quote

Article at player2player
The Derek Smart Files pt4; Linking yet another troll feeding frenzy as mr.Smart signs autographs
Famous Axiom wrote:
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

hahahaa..omg if you ever thought i was a troll, see that guy. he's the real McCoy. BTW, if you don't know who this guy is, see here

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard much about mister Smart recently. He drop out of sight in shame?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If a tree falls in the forest, and noones around, did it happen?

Or the alternative:
"If a man is alone in a forest, with no females around, is he still wrong?"

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-04-29 23:13 ]
Muffy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my my my...it's been awhile since i posted anything on Dr.Smart/Mr.Derek

I was roaming USENET's space sim category (i'd pretend i was looking for JumpGate articles, but that wouldn't be my 1st choice for that sewer search), saw that voodoo extreme had yet another troll bait interview, found a link to an anti-DerekSmart site and found lots of material (and not the kiddie pr0n Mr.Smart accuses it of holding; awwwwww. LOL ). one in particular caught my attention and that was an old "review" by a gaming news site:
GamesDomain wrote:
...Derek's early opinion seemed to be that buying a game does not give you the right to flame the developer. An odd line of reasoning, but one that perhaps can be explained with Derek's own words: "my life is my business, my cross to bear and I don't have to answer to you or anyone. I answer to a higher authority. My ego". That same ego that created problems with the Take 2 development team was back at play on the usenet (my personal favorite Derekism is "you're in dire need of a well-placed bitch slap"). Why didn't Derek take the high road and ignore postings that were obviously bait for his super-ego? Why didn't he treat them like a prank phone call and just let them go away? In Derek's own words, "I don't care what anyone says and I make NO excuses for my outbursts in the newsgroup but when people call you names, call you a fraud, a liar etc it doesn't take much to push you over the edge. Then you stop caring. What more have I got to lose, a few more sales? Puhlease [sic], you know how much sales I lost when it shipped?" Taking the high road might expose him to the "silence equals consent" argument, but without fuel, the flame would eventually die.

The more obvious answer is that there is no such thing as bad publicity...

...As to BC3K in its current state, I believe that it is a monument to Smart's perseverance. Once you get past a learning curve that makes the North Slope of Everest look like a bunny hill, you discover that the game is pretty playable. It still has a lot of work to go, but it is complex, has depth and there is a lot to see and do. Its not a beer and pretzels game and the casual gamer will most likely be scared off, but the core gamer would do well to give the game a try once its completed. As an aside, I don't think that existing owners should be charged for the final version (as of right now existing owners will be charged $15 for v2.0). It is my opinion that gamers should not be charged once for a work in progress (or better known as an alpha/beta version) and then again for the finished product.

I actually heard of BC3K much much before i heard of the developer. I read it in a games review that warned everyone not to buy it. I tend to trust this sort of review and depend on reviews before i even DL the demo of a game. In this case, i still refuse to DL the demo just because i stopped playing DOS quality games long ago. (They were fun and most of them had more content than bells/whistles.)
    personally, i'd DL the game just to have ammo to flame DS, but that's a bit silly since if anyone ever flamed me for a comment on USENET i'd simply ignore them if it was in the kind of context DS (& sock puppets) seem to prefer.
The really scary thing is i swear this guy invents other people who chat with each other and then he comes on in another alias and gives a thumbs up to both sock puppets. It's scarey like watching a B-grade horror flick.

In fact, i'd recommend getting a good laff out of this DS guy if you liked 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' (ie. it's boring, per se. but add audience participation as the main attraction and it's fun as hell)
    seems someone classified his behavior as bullying. There's loads of psychobabble about that, but one thing struck me as fascinating in my searching for the "why"...
anti-bullying site wrote:
...an inability or unwillingness to learn from past experience, however unpleasant - this "learning blindness" is a key feature of the serial bully and differentiates the serial bully from the unwitting bully; this inability to learn seems to be concentrated in the area of interpersonal, social, communication and behavioural skills; closer inspection suggests that the bully does learn from experience, but only how be more secretive and how to be more skilled at evading accountability

*snip*

When called to account for the way they have chosen to behave, the bully instinctively:

a) denies everything. Variations include Trivialization ("This is so trivial it's not worth talking about...") and the Fresh Start tactic ("I don't know why you're so intent on dwelling on the past" and "Look, what's past is past, I'll overlook your behaviour and we'll start afresh") - this is an abdication of responsibility by the bully and an attempt to divert and distract attention by using false conciliation. Imagine if this line of defence were available to all criminals ("Look I know I've just murdered 12 people but that's all in the past, we can't change the past, let's put it behind us, concentrate on the future so we can all get on with our lives" - this would do wonders for prison overcrowding).

b) quickly and seamlessly follows the denial with an aggressive counter-attack of counter-criticism or counter-allegation, often based on distortion or fabrication. Lying, deception, duplicity, hypocrisy and blame are the hallmarks of this stage. The purpose is to avoid answering the question and thus avoid accepting responsibility for their behaviour. Often the target is tempted - or coerced - into giving another long explanation to prove the bully's allegation false; by the time the explanation is complete, everybody has forgotten the original question.

Both a) and b) are delivered with aggression in the guise of assertiveness; in fact there is no assertiveness (which is about recognising and respecting the rights of oneself and others) at all. Note that explanation - of the original question - is conspicuous by its absence.

c) in the unlikely event of denial and counter-attack being insufficient, the bully feigns victimhood or feigns persecution by manipulating people through their emotions, especially guilt. This commonly takes the form of bursting into tears, which most people cannot handle. Variations include indulgent self-pity, feigning indignation, pretending to be "devastated", claiming they're the one being bullied or harassed, claiming to be "deeply offended", melodrama, martyrdom ("If it wasn't for me...") and a poor-me drama ("You don't know how hard it is for me ... blah blah blah ..." and "I'm the one who always has to...", "You think you're having a hard time ...", "I'm the one being bullied..."). Other tactics include manipulating people's perceptions to portray themselves as the injured party and the target as the villain of the piece. Or presenting as a false victim. Sometimes the bully will suddenly claim to be suffering "stress". Alleged ill-health can also be a useful vehicle for gaining attention and sympathy. For suggestions on how to counter this see the advice on the FAQ page.

By using this response, the bully is able to avoid answering the question and thus avoid accepting responsibility for what they have said or done. It is a pattern of behaviour learnt by about the age of 3; most children learn or are taught to grow out of this, but some are not and by adulthood, this avoidance technique has been practised to perfection.

Nobody's perfect, and i doubt there's an "adult" alive that could objectively explain maturity without looking the fool. hmmmm...that reminds me of a "mote in thine eye" quote. bleh. I naturally get depressed about my occasional flame fests when i read about losers like DerekSmart. Luckily i remember i don't take myself quite so seriously, and always attempt to stick to facts, not lies.

Last edited by Muffy on Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. Derek Smart is boring...And here i thought that guy was a professional troll because he was good at being a troll. Gah. the idjits the poster child of the lowest common denominator.

All of his posts are immature, unimaginative and lacking in any sort of shame...I mean, really. A troll worth his or her salt would at least attempt to flame some dipshit with a little bit more style than that. sheeeeeesh. And he's got no class (no self effacing humour nor ability to admit error nor does he distinguish between an honest query and a clueless rant when turning on the flamethrower)
    i mean, really. the guy flames everyone indiscriminantly. you couldn't accuse this fool of being a racist/sexist because he treats everyone with equal contempt.

And his stupid "sock puppets" lack any form of literary substance...Pretty clear that the puppet acts are linear (no branching conversations, just stupid chaotic rants that would make pingpong look like a triathalon), but what you might not have expected is that the enormous ego that is Derek Smart "lacks connected subplots, deep conversations, and notable identities"...It's like some kid playing "are too! am not!" and throwing in words he heard on MTV to spice it up without any rhyme or reason.
Makes a mockery out of the word "professional" when the axiom "any news is good news" is true for Derek Smart.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Smart wrote:
In fact, we currently have variety e.g. Jumpgate, Darkspace, X2, Battlecruiser are all varieties of the genre - ranging from the brain dead boring to the frustratingly complex. But for some odd reason, apart from the Battlecruiser series, these others can't seem to breach into the mainstream. And the reason for that is, they don't have the right kind of champions which is why I agree with Tyjenks in this regard.

heeeeeee hehehe. hooooo boy, he sure loves talking about himself in the 3rd person. see here for the USENET commentary.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spam is effective because it relies on P.T.Barnum's adage of a "fool borne every minute" and "a fool and his wallet are easily parted" (one doesn't need to appeal at all, just hook enough fools to make the cost/benefit of producing spam worthwhile)

uhm...the point i guess i'm making is that i think this books theme (which i haven't read yet, sorry) is that you don't need to be appealing, just effective enough.

wrote this up while on a search on google, inspired by this post (Locke and Demosthenes)
    think i'll actually go look the official book review & coles notes. heh :read:
FOLLOWUP: new update on the "quartertothree" forum flame war located on usenet here
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i'm even bored of his 'critics'
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USENET. the fun never stops.

Derek Stooge wrote:
While Mr. Smart doesn't employ the most polite tech support techniques, since when are purchasers of a computer game guaranteed the ability to post on an on-line message board? As Derek says, there are other forms of tech support, other than the forums. So just because he chooses to banish you from his forum doesn't mean you're owed a refund. Besides, here's a simple solution for you and Mr. Huffman. If you don't like how Derek presents himself on-line and you aren't a fan of his 'support' tactics, simply don't buy his product. And maybe if you all would shut up about it, others would do the same. The more you talk about it, the more some n00b stumbles onto usenet and sees all this BS and decides he's going to check out the game, thus more money in Smart's wallet.

Famous Stalker wrote:
Dear Juggo, I don't care in the least whether or not the fraud makes a living or gets filthy rich.
Derek Stooge wrote:
Dear Bill, how does it feel to dedicate your life to a sad attempt to 'expose' someone of being a fraud? You should also note that no one cares about Mr.Smart's alleged lies besides you. You could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's full of it and is the biggest fraud and liar on earth, and no one would give a damn. Give up the stalking and get a real hobby.
Famous Stalker wrote:
Dear Juggo, you are a silly fool if you believe the rot that you write. My life is no more dedicated to the fraud as your life is dedicated to watching Star Trek (or whatever show you like watching on TV). I've already proven that Derek Smart is the biggest academic fraud that hasn't opened a degree mill of his own. I don't care in the least who cares about it. I don't entertain myself for others.

Now I hope that you learn to better defend Fraudman's deceit. You have managed to do nothing to convince me that he has an honest bone in his whole body. Derek Smart is a fraud. That must really bother you to hear the truth about it? Well, he admitted that his alma mater is listed as a degree mill in Bear's Guide to Distance Learning. Yet he continues his fraud. why don't you try to defend that? If you feel overwhelmed by the your lack of facts let me help you get some facts so that you can try to do a better job defending the fraud...If you already understand that Derek Kevin-Smart is a roaring academic fraud then why don't you try to defend his business fraud? Derek Smart released BCM:Gold over two months ago. I contend that when he released it he knew that MP didn't work. He sold BCM:Gold to his fans primarily as a way for them to get MP support. He told them if they paid full price for it they would get a $20 refund. These action constitute deceit and fraud in my view. Promising something that he didn't deliver. Encouraging his fans to buy the product that didn't work as expected before the price dropped and before they could learn that it didn't work as promised. This makes Derek a business fraud, IMHO.

lmao rofl HELP X_X la-la-la
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keeping track of the multiplayer void
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homeworld community attempting to summon the demon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: