UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Progress?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does EVE have playable PvE content yet - to the point of allowing one to ignore PvP?
Yes.
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
No.
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

Farproc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Progress? Reply with quote

I played eve about a year ago, and gave it up for being very unfriendly to casual group pve play.

In contrast to World of Warcraft...
a. EvE had no ability to take multiple pve quests at a time - (Which compounded the following problem) -
b. quest generators ensured that the SINGLE quest available was different for different players - allowing no co-operation without one player sacrificing their time.
c. the only npc content was 'complexes' a type of instanced content that only spawned if you had a quest there. and generally felt pretty flat when you got there.
d. a lack of concepts like 'aggo' as well as no ship role differentiation at small scales in pve meant that teamwork was essentially useless at the timescales encounters typically played out.

I always felt, or at least finally concluded, that both EvE and Jumpgate felt, to a player interested more in trading and PvE type activities, that both games were a poorly disguised sandpit, owned by bullies, who would lure unsuspecting kids in, and then kick sand in their faces.

In this case, eve and jumpgate promise endless or unlimited possibilites or some such tripe - stongly implying that a role not involving 24H PvP in a strong PvP guild is possible.
Krishna
Command Staff
Command Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have added some stuff to missions baad, u can now share rewards as well os loyality points from missions,
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Progress? Reply with quote

you know me, Baad. I can be brutal, yet sometimes that's what's needed. Right off the bat I have to tell you that PvP cripples high level PvE in ways you might not have discovered whilst you played way back when. Nowadays the risk of having thieves grief missions is a quite popular one (stealing salvage/mission items/etc etc)...looters are a massive problem for the highest level missions since vultures pretty much camp the lvl5 agent systems. Mining? ha! same thing, and especially since one has to travel into pvp territory to get a decent cost/benefit ratio compared to mining Veldspar in carebear central.
Heh. there's even a new tactic of griefing miners in high sec space using roleplay that would make Goebbels blush.
The ability to enjoy group PvE activities has improved on some aspects, while other aspects haven't even been touched and rot away...especially the loopholes for corp thieves to waltz on in and out.

• not sure i understand your first question/proposition
  • yeah, there's rewards for multiple players but it doesn't increase the loot/rats according to players joining. There's sharing, but no boost to difficulty or lessening.
  • not sure what this terrain obsession with you is...WTF does "flat" mean? As for your complaint about 'Complexes' as instanced content...well, i'm not sure what would be better for eveonline. They haven't changed it at all, really.
  • Your understanding of small unit tactics must be alot different than mine. There's ships in the game now that are more specialized. Course, there's been tonnes of nerfages. blech.
Dunno, Baad. The economy in eve is a very strange beast, especially if you throw in POS stuff. I doubt you had much experience in that aspect.

Your point that PvE is still vulnerable to PvP griefing in eve-online still rings true...even more so. There's ships that can warp scramble heavily warpcorestabilized haulers, in low sec. One sees the constant reminder that suicide ganks are all the rage. Jita is still a blackhole for the economy, and there's just too many levelling factors to call eve-online's economy fully player run. The pvp aspects of the economy, missions, mining and everything else has always been poorly addressed by CCP.

*shrug* I myself still enjoy the game immensely, and my explorations have enabled me to run a POS chain since january, in low sec space, that keeps itself in the black even if i don't mine any ice...and that's just my oneman corp. The risks are there, yes, i agree...although that's why i always liked Jumpgate and Eve-online.

Without risk all that's left are carebears and griefers. And i'll bet you my bottom dollar the griefers have found a way to demoralize WoW carebears, i'll bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Eve Public Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: