UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mining 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Mining 101 Reply with quote

Tyrannas wrote:
You can find some nice info on these three sites:-

http://www.eve-i.com/forum/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=prof2

and

http://www.eve-i.com/home/dancer/page/page_article.php?id=18

and last but not least

http://www.eve-i.com/home/dancer/page/page_article.php?id=58

Ben Derinder wrote:
You can also use your system scanner to check the contents of asteroid belts without risking your ship warping to the belts themselves.

Say you're surveying a few systems at a time... cool, set your final destination. Hit Ctrl-F11, and while in warp from one gate to another, do a maxed range 360 degree scan. 99% of the time you'll be within 14AU of an asteroid belt, and your scan results will includes scores of various types of asteroids, possibly amongst other things.

Even if you only end up scanning one belt in that system, that'll probably be enough, because unless that particular belt has been recently stripped, it will contain the same roid types as all the other belts in that same system.

Looking for ore this way is quick and easy... most of the time you don't even have to deviate from your set course.

My advice? Do the tutorial agent missions (9 - you'll need to petition to clear the "training certificate" mission) and then the storyline agent sequel until you're given the implant. Put the implant up for sale in 'escrow'* for a few million isk. You usually make around 275k isk from those two agents...Train up your spaceship command skill and '<racial> frigate' skill and get '<racial> industrial' and 'destroyers' skill (while you're doing the missions)

After you've done that you'll be able to afford both your race's industrial and destroyer ship. Invest in cargo expanders for your indy and buy some nice named tech1 mining lasers for your destroyer. Find a nice 0.9 system (no npc "rat" spawns) and mine scordite into a 'jetcan'** with your destroyer. warp back to an insystem station and switch to your indy to haul your ore to market.

It's a good idea to train electronics and el.upgrades skill in order to fit co-processors (mining lasers use lots of 'cpu' allotment)

I suggest you find the best price for scordite ore in your current region and try to place your base of operations in the nearest 0.9 system (preferrably with lots of asteroid belts)

Refining skill becomes profitable at lvl4. (lvl5 is nice because then you can start training the refining efficiency and ore specializations). You'll want to base yourself out of a station with 50% refining efficiency. You'll also want to start running missions for the owning corporation because once you get to high refining skill you'll find there's no wastage except for the 5% that station takes in payment - raise your standing to 5+ and you'll get almost 100% efficiency.

Learning how to set 'instajumps'*** will make your life alot easier
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodge wrote:
Gretchen Dawntreader wrote:
I know that Veldspar is everywhere from 1.0 down, and someone told me Arkonor was only found in 0.0...but what about ranges for the rest, as a guide for where to start looking if you wanted a specific asteroid type? Can anyone fill in the blanks?

I can only report on what I've seen in the game on this one, doubtless there are other wonders I haven't witnessed personally so this isn't a definitive list.
  • Arkonor = 0.0 only
    I have seen Arkonor personally in Curse, Outer Ring, Great Wildlands, old Xetic space.
  • Bistot = 0.0 only
    I've seen it in Curse, Outer Ring, GW, Xetic. Pretty sure Fountain has this ore.
  • Crokite = 0.0 only
    I've seen it in Stain, Outer Ring, Syndicate, Venal, Vale of the Silent, Pure Blind (tonnes in EC-P8R, 1 jump from safe Empire).
  • Dark Ochre = 0.0 only
    Seen it in Syndicate (PF-346, for one jump from Empire mining), Outer Ring
  • Gneiss = 0.0 only
    I've seen it in Curse, I generally filter it out as it's not all that valuable really.
  • Hedbergite = 0.2 is the highest I've seen it in, though you may find it in higher sec than that. Certainly not any higher than 0.4 though. Yehaba is an example of a 0.2 system with it.
  • Hemorphite = Same as Hedbergite. Both of these are fairly common in 0.0 space and can be found in low sec.
  • Jaspet = 0.4 and below. Not found in low sec in Caldari space though. I'm told that you can find this in 0.5 systems in Minmatar space, but I haven't looked to confirm this.
  • Kernite = Amarr space, 0.7 and below. In Caldari space, only in 0.4 and below, never in 0.5+. This is why isogen is much more expensive in Caldari space than it is in Amarr...
  • Omber = 0.7 and below, Minmatar space has this. Amarr/Caldari space doesn't.
  • Plagioclase = 0.7 and below for Caldari space. 0.4 and below in Minmatar space, 0.7 and below for Amarr space.
  • Pyroxeres = 0.9 (quite rarely), but quite common in most systems in the 0.5-0.8 range. You'll find more in a 0.5 than you will in a 0.7 system.
  • Scordite = Universal, 1.0 and down.
  • Spodumain = 0.0 only. Saw some in Providence/Catch and some in Curse. It's a pretty crap ore, not really worth mining if you're taking the trouble to go to 0.0 in the first place with a mining setup.
  • Veldspar = 1.0 and down
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was a great chart for finding types of roids...but, for the life of me, i can't seem to find it yet.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eve-files.com/media/corp/WLDs/roid_grid.jpg
w00t!
Zero0
Chief WO2
Chief WO2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but will it Blend?
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that's not even talking about exploration. now, exploration BLENDS. muahaha...i'm going to check out my very first gravimetric scan result and see what juicy ores pop up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: