UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instajumps; The Perfect Bookmark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Instajumps; The Perfect Bookmark Reply with quote

RookieHelpChannel wrote:
An instajump is a player made bookmark that will take you directly on top of a warp gate so you don't need to travel between when you come out of warp to the stargate.
Urtok wrote:
Muffy wrote:
Droidster wrote:
  1. In a nutshell you must fly to the opposite side of the gate and orient yourself so that you are (15 km - gate diameter/2) meters past the gate in line with the origin.
  2. If you look back and see the origin symbol it must be within about 1 cm of the destination symbol. If it is too far away slow your ship and maneover until conditions A and B are met.
  3. If the destination object's diameter is greater than 30 km you can set the bookmark in its center and it will be reachable from any direction.
Name your bookmarks: Dest -Origin(s)
The origins must be second because there may be more than one so you always want to alphabetize on destination. Use 4-letter abbreviations because if you use the full system name then it may be too long for the context menu and get cutoff.

Example: Aida -Covr,Dast,5
To the Aidart gate (in Stacmon) from either the Covryn gate, the Dastryn gate, or anything at or in the vicinity of planet 5. You do not need to mention the system name because that is already shown in a special column in People and Places.

simplistic enough, except where's this magical FAQ that tells us the diameter of all things great and small?

Droidster's discription is excellenl. The 'magical' size listing is in the overview. Just turn on 'size' column. It is listed in diameter of an object.

The folder deletion bug just hit me. Basicly sometimes when you crash, hard, and log back in all your folders are gone. All the BMs are still there, since that is kept on the server, but all your folders are gone, since that is on the client.

For any bookmark (bm) used in 'insta-jump' creation i always use a shuttle and maintain a tight grip on the "adjust velocity" controls.
  • Stations: deceptively easy. get a shuttle, load about half a dozen individual ammo rounds and launch. immediately control velocity and set an approach back to station till you almost reach the 0m barrier. Jettison one of the ammo rounds, keep it's location. Now, set up your jumpgate bookmark (see below) Then warp back to this cargo container and go 14km past it (control velocity) Now, dump another ammo round and approach your first container after target locking both. stop at about 9km range and calculate how much you'll have to shave off to get it "exactly" to 14000m, then head back to your 2nd container and stop x meters before. grab the cargo, set bookmark (write "from blah to station")...now, go back and pick up your first container and delete that temp. bookmark (unless you've got more bms to station to do)

• Stargates: even easier. same shuttle, no need for containers. Warp in from departure point, doubleclick as close to the center of the JG as you can (without enabling approach mode) and adjust your velocity once you pass it...rotate view angle and wait till you're approx 10km behind JG and doubleclick in the corner of your screen opposite the position of your departure point. Once your departure and destination match up, click 'approach' jumpgate and stop at a range of 5900m (give or take 200m)...set bookmark.

• Roid fields: kinda complicated. What you're looking for is a field that you approach with the "ends" aligned to your approach vector. (has a number of advantages to this) Get to the middle of the arc, approach the middle roid to about 10km. Look towards the departure station/jg you came from and ZOOM OUT to find the closest roid directly behind your current facing. Target lock that. Drop something to make a container. Turn to face the locked roid and hit the gas to go beyond that roid (no need for that targeted roid beyond the "turn 180 degrees bit.") Get the container to about 12-13km, trying to get the container and your station/JG lined up. If done right, this will not only get you to within mining range of the farthest roid in the arc, but also allow you to set "warp to 15, 20, 30, 40" to get even more of the field.
As for people&places folders to keep your BM's uncluttered i have 7 folders only and nothing in the main PLACES section...only temporary BMs that i can get at quickly (like mission BMs)

Those folders are: Combat Patrol; Hubs; Offices/Labs; Roids/Hides; Routes - Peni; Routes - Youl; Shuttles
  1. combat patrol is for pure rat hunting (roid fields and jgs aligned for distance)
  2. hubs i use for when i'm on combat missions (station "dock" quick clicks)
  3. offices/labs/shuttles i use when i'm hunting for labs or offices to rent and shuttles are for indy routes between stations/jumpgates
  4. roids/hides are for indy routes between belts and stations/JGs...plus hideout locations for interesting things (basically your miscellaneous folder)
  5. routes are for indy routes between jumpgates (plus departure/arrival stations)
sometimes i'll use just the official location. (1: when there's no need for roid indy points; 2: for the hubs. you don't need to use the "warp to" submenu if you hit 'dock' then select another route upon arrival; 3: offices and labs i keep the original label as well.)

As you can see, i don't put too much faith in MWDs

some station ports are setup in a way that's unesthetic when you warp in on them..pinball action. Recommend setting up an approach to another part of the station, like an exhaust port

I tend not to set waypoints unless there's something damned important about the location...I've found the best station usually is the one that has the best quality combat agent(s) and the least amount of BMs needed. (killing three birds with one stone)
    take Penirgman for instance...Theology 8.2 has a lvl2 high quality int.sec. agent, with only two BMs needed on approach (orkashu/chaven/4/5/7 for one, and ashab/9 for another)

another example is Youl. only three BMs needed to cover all five jumpgates, plus 6 combat agents of lvl1 and 2.

Jarzalad i use because of it's proximity to numerous asteroid belts in 0.6 space in the nearby systems

Sarum Prime is used because of it's tendency to be the highest mineral/ore purchaser in the region

Sayartchen is also used because of it's proximity to the only 0.3 system near penirgman (and the only lvl5 agent near penirgman)

Etav is my only throwback to pre-patch days of mining agent lore...keep it for sentimental value i suppose
Be careful of spreading out too far, because you'll want a central headquarters that is your dumping ground for recycling and other loot, etc. (and BM'd routes for your industrials to get there and back)

I've forced myself to limit my reach to 3 jumps outside of Penirgman, except lab slots which i use alternates to monitor...this keeps the bookmarks to a sane level.

There's one exception Youl. Mission agents tend to restrict themselves to 3 jump radius objectives...with 6 agents in one station one either needs lots of bookmarks or a combat ship handicapped with a MWD. The nice thing about Youl is it's restricted backwater location cuts down the amount of systems connecting within 3 jumps of it. (Penirgman has 40 systems within 3 jumps; Youl has only 24)
    i have Hubs and Routes set up all around this area...quite a bit of work, but worth it if you don't have an MWD

Last edited by Heretic on Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=135049&page=1

the Exodus patch fubared alot of my bms...i suggest 7500m behind jumpgates, and 15km behind docking ports/roid patches
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://elroycruise.free.fr/bookieguide.html
nice guide.

i've noticed bookmark warping locations seem to be randomized. you'll "scatter" from your destination by about 1km or so, if even. (bm jumps used to be pinpoint, now the game code fudges)
TrafficKop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Post-exodus bming Reply with quote

1. find the route you want and set destination
    2. set autopilot to on
    3. once under warp towards a jumpgate, disable autopilot
    4. upon coming out of warp, hit full speed
    5. have jumpgate as selected object
    5. wait till you're 10+km past jumpgate, and then cut speed by half
    6. hit 'approach' icon in 'selected item' (very handy)
    7. adjust your heading till you have departure and arrival points lined up at 8500-9000m distance

i usually cut thrust in my shuttle at the 9500m mark from half speed setting...

8. add waypoint onc eyou come to full stop
i found that naming my waypoints in a different format helped me sort them later, especially if the folders get nuked. *bug*

i split my bookmarks up into 3 types of folders per constellation. i name them:
  • Roids + <constellation>: "To beltx.y (right/mid/left)"
  • Routes - <constellation>: "X to Y" ...these are for between jumpgates
  • Shuttle = <constellation>: "y from x" ...these are for between one or more stations and/or jumpgate
I tend to prefer using the escrow system to package bookmarks into plastic wraps, but i found that i should ONLY do that if my bookmark system for that constellation is complete.

the reason i like plastic wraps is because you can stuff ALOT into a shuttle, whereas using small containers takes 100m3 each.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've given up on the idea of plastic wraps, permanently. it's a cute idea but impractical. here's how i deal with disseminating bookmarks:

1) i'll have a library division hangar set out for bookmarks. each small standard container has all the constellation bookmarks (roids,routes and shuttles separate)

2) updates can simply be traded out to players, and shoved into the containers for future use.

Quote:
You'll find the easiest way to create the folders is use copy and paste liberally and just fill in the constellation names...do that until you've got the entire list in your peoples/places window, then start moving the bms to 'items', then to the folder in peoples/places, then shift-copying them back to the container. close one container and move to the next.

takes quite some time. oh yes, DON'T delete your settings folder in cache, since the folders reside there...there's also the information that saving this file will keep your folder system intact...i've yet to find out exactly which file to save.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=147809

me and droidster get down to the nitty-gritty of naming one's bookmarks
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on station/shuttle bookmarking.
  1. Grab a unit of local cheap commodity (i prefer that over using a bookmark; more stylish if someone peeks, though i'm sure a nasty note would be funny, i prefer folks to let sleeping dogs lie)
  2. launch in a shuttle and wait till you come to full stop
  3. jettison that item and then warp to your destination
  4. as soon as you come out of warp, hit full thrust, and select the jumpgate.
  5. as you pass 10km behind the jg, hit half thrust, hit approach jg and adjust heading so you line up that station you left
  6. at 9500km hit full stop and wait till you hit 0.0 velocity and then add a bookmark that says "JG from base" and in the info list the range to jumpgate
  7. now hit, "warp to station 15km" and align yourself to look at station, then zoom out
  8. when you come out of warp select your container and approach
  9. once you're next to it double click as close to the center of your screen as possible
  10. 0once you pass 14km hit half thrust and approach container, adjusting heading to line up jg you just left
  11. immediately upon hitting the 14km mark approach to the container, hit full stop
  12. wait till you reach 0.0 velocity and then add bookmark taht reads "Base from JG"
I usually try to keep the jumpgate acronym to 4 letters, except if i've got a blob of jumpgates all at the same spot, then i shorten it to fit.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on asteroid bookmarking. Well, the new exodus bookmark nerf screwed my old bms. There's been a rumor that the only way to get perfect drop points is to set the bm for the 20km+ range. That's is incorrect when i made my first run of meticulous '20km' bookmarks. made half a dozen then merrily tested them - cause i was damn sure there's more bullshit on the forums than diapers on bottoms.

Scatter will now have to be just a part of life. the new Exodus scatter is a random 2.5km radial globe.

Anyways, i've given up being all fancy and decided to use ejected bookmarks, simply named at the default "spot in x system".

The routine i've got now is very simple. get to the far end of a roid belt and lock the last roid...then travel UNDER or ABOVE the belt till you hit 9 km, then hit half speed (in your shuttle) and then hit stop once you hit the 11km mark.

create bookmark, drag to cargo bay, eject.

move right along repeating the above till you have a nice string of jetcans. Stop when you get within 12km of the other end...then you simply head to your first jetcan and begin the process of the actual 'insta-jump' creation.
  • get right next to the first can and find your station/jg where you are going to arrive from and depart to
  • having found this point, turn approx 180 degrees and take off at full speed
  • once you hit the 14km mark, slow to half speed
  • passing 16km turn around and align
  • hit full stop once you hit 15km mark approaching the can.
  • create bookmark once you come to full stop - i'm leary of setting bookmarks while one has velocity, i've seen some wierd results
when you've set that one, goto the 3rd can you dropped and repeat...then the 5th, etc.
Meh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've discovered, after a few "bookmark folder deletion" bugs that sorting bookmarks into folders based on constellations is just a bloody waste of time.

use 'Region' folders instead of 'constellation'...although it looks intimidating to see about 230 bookmarks in a folder, it's actually less intimidating than seeing 100+ folders.
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firid Soulbane wrote:
Im no expert but ill tell you how i arrange mine. I trade in minerals and as such i do a lot of traveling everyday.

I have my bookmarks arranged in folders by region. My bookmarks all have two system names. First name is where im coming from, second name is where i would like to go. So if im coming in to Yulai from Lustrevik and i want to go to Kermerk i need to find the Lustrevik -> Kemerk bookmark.

You need a seperate BM for every gate to gate allthough some can just be duplicated since you often have several gates at the same planets. For example you have 3 gates at planet A and 1 gate at planet B. You put in a bookmark from the first gate at planet A to the gate at planet B. This bookmark can now be used from all three gates at planet A to go to the gate at planet B, but not the other way around.

Having bookmarks for every gate to gate in a region is only needed if you do a lot of traveling on different routes. If you only travel from A to B on a regular basis you only need that route off course. For agent missions bookmarks can be very helpfull and if you make the effort of bookmarking the nearby area, you can save a lot of time doing courrier missions.
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another guide
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video guide
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ras Blumin wrote:
For instadocks, I usually use "Planet Number"-"Moon Number" "Abbrevation of the station name", IE. "11-3 BTT" (Brutor Tribe Treasury @ P11-M3). I use that "style" of namecalling for station > gate instas as well, ie. "11-3 BTT > Rens".
I don't use Ras Blumin's technique (and i have almost a thousand or two now) but that sounds an excellent suggestion.

I myself have learnt the hard way that fancy folders go the way of the dodo bird when one's "cache" gets a hiccup. have they fixed that bug yet? Besides, sometimes one wants to delete the ENTIRE cache...and sometimes you reinstall the game after a hiatus (and forgot where you put the cache backup)

All my fancy "roids-region" "shuttles-region" "routes-region" folders went poof and i was faced with the daunting task of rearranging all my BMs (thousand+) *shrug* so i simply sorted the entire lot by 'constellation' and shuffled everything by constellation folders. period.

My way of naming BMs is intuitive, Albiet radically different than the other posters here in one fundamental way.

Roid naming: "To belt [planet].[belt#]" and "From belt [planet].[belt#]" (asteroid mining i try to keep as simple as possible: only one refining staging point as reference, and i prefer a planet with lots of belts &/or lots of planets close together - that way i can "double up" on instajumps and "kill two birds with one stone" so to speak.)

station naming: "Base from [JG]" and "[JG] from Base" (notice how it's format is different than roid BM naming? It seems confused compared to the other poster's suggestion, but in my folders it helps me instantly "eyeball" the different categories; If there's more than one JG really close together i'll combine it)

jumpgate travel: "x to y" and "y to x" (i like the "to"...i don't know why i refuse to use ">" or "->"...perhaps it was the bugs in the code that prevented me from doing so a year ago+ (?) Anyways, it just seems aesthetic to use "to")[quote=example]In Ashab system there's a whole bunch of jumpgates. I have "All to Tanoo", "Am/He/Ke to Pe", "Am/He/Ke to Te", "Ama/Hed to Keh", "Cha/Pen to Ama", "Cha/Pen to Hed", "Cha/Pen to Keh" and "Cha/Pen to Tes", "Keho to Amar", "Tano to Peni", "Tesh to Amar", "Tesh to Hedi", "Tesh to Keho" and "Tesh to Peni" (all BMs are in a folder named "Paru")

There's this one base there that i used to frequently goto and it was conveniently located where i could actually put "Base from All" ...Personally, i thought this was way cool and wanted to make this my home. But the massive distances involved in Ashab system left my n00b capacitors empty, so i waved goodbye to agent "Toumzie Fusi"[/quote]From the example you can see how i increasingly shorten the abbreviations when "killing two birds with one stone"

As for Aesthetics, i prefer to place BMs 11000m from Amarr jumpgates (the single ring type) and 14000m from specific points in space (ie. a jettisoned marker to warp in to an aesthetically pleasing point next to a station)

As for brutal genius while mining, i prefer belts where they're aligned in an arc perpendicular to the point i jump in from (that way i can set a BM and then simply choose the 'warp in' distance to cover the entire belt with one BM) ...i usually try to name the "to belt" with an additional explanation of (right) or (left) or (mid) or (full)

Alas the days of olde where my Indy would jump to pinpoint precision on my BM are long gone. Currently, there's about a 2.5km sphere of random arrival...Which has the humorous effect of turning my Iteron V into a giant pinball when using old station instadocks.

*muffy goes off to hug his Small Tractor Beam I*
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: copying bookmarks Reply with quote

Valeo Galaem wrote:
To copy bookmarks, you need to hold shift and drag the bookmark from your People & Places window into your ships cargo hold as it only works if you put them there. This will create a copy of the BM as a tradable item. If you just want to move it out of P&P (and removing its entry there) don't hold shift.

To place BMs back in P&P, just drag it back. You can't copy bookmarks going in reverse, so shift doesn't matter.

BUT... be aware that BMs put a lot of load on the database, and as a result, CCP has given them very low priority on the server. When you start moving bookmarks around, be prepared to have to wait a while for the server to perform the action. You may find that it will take minutes to move a few dozen BMs. This same delay will make opening containers and hangers with BMs in them take a while to load as well. Just be patient and eventually they will show up.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Duar wrote:
I've been wondering, since the folders for bookmarks are stored locally, is there some way to access that data so I could extract a list of all my current bookmarks?
Nosferatu Zodd wrote:
It is stored in [CCP\EVE\cache\Settingschar_(number).dat] Yet only the foldernames for the bookmarks are stored locally. The bookmarks are stored on the server and that's why it takes that long to copy them. They should store the folders also on the server for several reasons known by many.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akopian Atrebates wrote:
This relates to the previous post about bookmarks. I, too, use naming conventions related to whether a bookmark is gate to gate, base to gate or for a base. If it is gate to gate, I use a comma at the beginning. If it is base to gate I use a perios. I let bases go without.

This results in a very unobtrusive naming convention that sorts out when you use alphabetical labe sorting. You can already click on region, constellation etc for sorting purposes. This little trick merely sorts out the TYPES of bookmarks you are looking at.

Why sort by gate to gate, base to gate and bases? If you just use one folder for all three types, then you will get a very very long list for systems with lots of bases and lots of gates. It is faster for me to open up three little windows for gate to gate base to gate and bases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: