UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Penny Arcade promotion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Penny Arcade promotion Reply with quote

Flash animation AD banner
Looks like they're advertising on penny arcade. it's a march2006 offer for 14 days free. i'll post the blurb for posterity.
Quote:
Welcome Penny Arcade-March2006 reader

Greetings, and welcome to the EVE universe. Here you can get an access pass for the Penny Arcade-March2006 special 14 day promotion.

EVE Online is the next generation in massive multiplayer online games. Set in a world of galactic magnitude, governed by a hyper capitalistic economy. Your aim is to establish yourself as a major mover and shaker, trusted by your friends and respected by your enemies.

Your main tools to accomplish this, apart from the whole panoply of sophisticated equipment, space ships and corporations will be your business acumen and social skills, Machiavellian thinking and cunning combat strategies. To get familiar with the intricacies of EVE, we also recommend the New Player Guide.

So, jump in, and like a true Amarrian miner would say: "Whatsda passwoid?"

You have to enter a valid email address since the access pass is sent to that address, and please note that only one access code is allowed per user and these codes should not be used by current subscribers.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like the new tutorial now. The voice accompaniment is fantastic, as well as the flow and direction of the lessons. It's quite lengthy, but at least they get the first lesson as training skills. Not to mention really emphasizing the danger of shooting things accidentally.

Problems i noticed is the 'beta' quality installer they use that doesn't really appear to have changed much, and it's a real memory hog. I needed a reboot, but it all seems to work fine, even though there's a bit of unwelcome delay that seems to pause a little too long (gives the impression of freezing up)
    cosmetic really, and perhaps it's a first time around thing
The charater creation adds another faction to each of the four races, which is welcome because it appears to balance out the "attribute spread"...I myself have learnt to depend on Intelligence and Perception, with a lower emphasis on Memory and Willpower (with charisma coming dead last; not sure if the dynamics have changed) ...not to mention i have learnt that the best career is spaceship captain (for the ability to get better ships FAST; which is key in the beginning)

Some of the defaults have changed. like full screen instead of windowed mode; another change was the market filters attuned to a more newbie friendly mode.

No other changes pop out at me, and i hope the tutorial continues to shed light on critical things newbies need to know. I hope the mining phase emphasizes Scordite roids and mining near the best selling sites for the ore (not to mention talking about the cost effectiveness of refining ore compared to selling it straight off) ...i'm curious to know if they changed the agent missions. ah well, it's off to work IRL.
"A Heretic may see the truth and seek redemption. He may be forgiven his past and will be absolved in death. A Traitor can never be forgiven. A Traitor will never find peace in this world or the next." -Cardinal Khrysdam: Instructum Absolutio
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: followup Reply with quote

now the tutorial lady is introducing the newbie chat channels. I hope they tell n00bs that when they leave their "school" corporation they can never rejoin it (they can only "go back" to the default racial corporation assigned to their subrace, NOT their school's corp)
    alot of n00bs get confused by this and make friends with their n00b corp and think they can dabble in a player corp and then come right back to their mother corp with their friends they've made there
now i'm on to combat and i noticed something very intriguing, as a borne-again n00b: there's no "fire at target with [default] item" on the 'target info' ...that's the confusing bit i got
    granted, that info box is a "new" feature that is patched onto old ways of thinking...but, still!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Eve Public Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: